Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Imagine! A truly minimalist chinstrap?
RE: Imagine! A truly minimalist chinstrap?
Bump

Trish
I just saw your post 2nights ago.  I’d been toying with the idea of a chin strap but I wasn’t sure it would work.  I, too, had a spare headgear since I just got a new one.  I sewed the edges together 
( of the old one) and tried it out.  For the past two nights I have had no leaks and it comfortably kept my mouth closed.  No dry mouth.
Genius idea. Thanks for the amazing idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is so clever! And the pic is a big help. But forgive me for being so dense...

What did you sew together? The ends which would normally slide over the P10 prongs? You sewed them to make it a circle, akin to a headband?

I just ordered a chin strap from my DME (a "premium" one, so they say). So it'll be interesting to see what it looks like, and if I can replicate the idea in a minimalist way, perhaps with an old & stretched out P10 headgear.

Good idea!

P.S. I am so impressed at the technological abilities of the several blind members we have on this forum. It's quite humbling to me. <3
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay so this is really the first I have ever heard of a “chin strap” so does this truly help you to keep your head up while you sleep? 
My friend tells me this is when I stop breathing so I think it’s worth a try, seems a lot to wear to bed though.... better than the alternative that’s for sure
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 07:14 PM)Bgrubbs Wrote: Okay so this is really the first I have ever heard of a “chin strap” so does this truly help you to keep your head up while you sleep? 
My friend tells me this is when I stop breathing so I think it’s worth a try, seems a lot to wear to bed though.... better than the alternative that’s for sure

A chin strap can help to keep your mouth closed improving fit with a full face mask or possibly reducing leaks with a nasal interface.  We have found many member get better results using a soft cervical collar to prevent chin tucking to chest which can cause obstruction, and to put light pressure on the back of the jaw to help keep the mouth closed, with the benefits of a chin strap.  We are talking about a soft foam collar 2-1/2 to 3 inches tall with a comfortable loose fit.

It sounds to me like you have obstructive apnea caused by your poor head and neck alignment. This is where the collar is far superior to the chin strap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knightsbridge Chinstrap Owners.... Lucky7 0 64 04-13-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 414 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 937 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 874 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 667 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,071 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  "Minimalist" Approach to ASV VisitorX 18 2,085 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.