Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact not humidifying
RE: Impact not humidifying
(10-16-2012, 08:16 AM)zimlich Wrote: I made a pretty judgemental post about this above- deleted it as it was not kind. Anyone should be able to decide if they was to use a humidifier or not. My apologies, flapaul. I was out of line.

I didnt see it, so no harm. I take no offense to opinions. We all have them and think we each know better that anyone else. I did like what I read in these responses and found it helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason for a humidifier is as most suggested: comfort and to add moisture to your nasal and air passages which typically dry out with the added air pressure running through them. If your pressure is low, you may not need any humidity. When pressures get higher, the added moisture provides relief to the nasal passages. Moreover, the moisture helps to reduce the possibility sore throats and nosebleeds due to extreme dryness over the course of constant CPAP therapy. Using it a couple times a week might all that is necessary to provide additional comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that when I started cpap therapy 6 weeks ago using the humidifier set at 3, that when I blew my nose the following morning I would find blood in my tissue. After a week of this I found a thread on this site that talked about that very issue, so I set my humidifier to 3.5 have the reduced the incidence of blood, it is not gone completely but it is not a big concern to me as there is no discomfort and the blood is only evident in the mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good! Glad it is working. Have you tried to increase it further? Sometimes too much humidity is almost as bad as not enough. If the congestion increases, then just either wait a few days to see if it goes away or if you'll need to turn it back down.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
also sinus rinse (Neilmed or Fess) dos help - just saline nasal wash. I use the squeezy bottle an hour before bed
you can get from local chemist
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice will try another 0.5 increase for a week and see how I go and will buy a nasal rinse too
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,485 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Chest/Lung Restriction - Impact on CPAP use? pkersey 65 6,403 03-13-2022, 10:13 PM
Last Post: pkersey
  ASV Impact on Central Apneas conphil 19 2,569 08-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: conphil
  [Equipment] Pillow/mask setting impact on data apneaeric 2 691 04-24-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Impact of Mask Leaks on AHI? Ron AKA 17 3,173 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
Question Impact of flow limits? CTcentrals 5 1,672 08-07-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: CTcentrals

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.