Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact not humidifying
Impact not humidifying
I just got a ResMed S9 AutoSet and Humidifier H5I. I have used CPAP for about 20 years and never used (or needed) a humidifier. My doctor keeps telling me it is better if I do.

I have used it off and on since getting the machine. I downloaded my data with ResScan and cant seem to see any data relating to humidifier (or even if it was connected certain dates).

I want to compare leakage and apnea data with (and without) using the humidifier. Is there a setting to capture that data and display it in ResScan?

Any other thoughts on pros versus cons of using humidifier? Its a pain to fill tank every day and use it and dont think it matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact not humidifying
Hi flapaul,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The humidifier is a comfort feature; you can, or you don't have to use it. I use it because my nose dries out if I don't and I'm more proned to nose bleeds if I don't use it. But everyone is different, so what works for me might not work for you. Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 08:13 PM)flapaul Wrote: I downloaded my data with ResScan and cant seem to see any data relating to humidifier (or even if it was connected certain dates).
Resscan wont tell if using the humidifier or not. you can make keep a log of the setting for each day
everyone is DIFFERENT. some don,t use humidifier but my nose desperately need to breathe humidified air

Post Reply Post Reply
Like Zonk says, the data has no information about the humidifier.

It is just a comfort feature and has little impact on treatment. I suppose if the nasal dryness was bad enough, the user would start to mouth breathe. I only use the humidifier during the winter when we have the heat on or when I am experiencing nose and throat allergy symptoms. So probably only about 5 or less months a year. I use it more as a passover humidifier than actually turning the heat on.

If you want to collect data, then it will take about 2 weeks for it to be noticeable (and reliable). So two or more weeks with it on and 2 or more weeks with it off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am deleteing the previous post because it was unnecessarily judgementaal. I apologize to anyone who read the post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi flapaul... Well for one thing, you won;t know if the humidifier helps or not unless you use it. Zonks suggestion to keep a running record would surely help with your discovery.
A positive attitude regarding the results of the use of the humidifier may possibly make an good increase in your therapeutic therapy. In Fl you might want to consider your Physicians valued opinion and use the humidifier, even if you only use it in the passive mode. I doubt that you would need to refill the water canister less then every 3-4 days.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 08:13 PM)flapaul Wrote: I just got a ResMed S9 AutoSet and Humidifier H5I.
Any other thoughts on pros versus cons of using humidifier?

When just breathing withOUT using a CPAP / APAP, your nose can keep up with humidifying all of the air you breathe.

But, when using a CPAP / APAP, your nose canNOT provide enough humidification for all of the air that passes through your nose.
That is what you need the humidifier for.

Using a humidifier in only Passover Mode (no heat) is better than nothing.
But it is NOT as good as using the humidifier with heat.

Not using a humidifier at all is not a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of folks here don't use one. If the humidity in the air where you live is high, the humidifier is pointless. I don't use mine in the summer at all. SuperSleeper never uses his.

It is a comfort feature and has little if any impact on treatment. Basically, if your nose dries out, use it. If it doesn't, why bother?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 09:06 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 08:13 PM)flapaul Wrote: I downloaded my data with ResScan and cant seem to see any data relating to humidifier (or even if it was connected certain dates).
Resscan wont tell if using the humidifier or not. you can make keep a log of the setting for each day
everyone is DIFFERENT. some don,t use humidifier but my nose desperately need to breathe humidified air

I am keeping a log. Just hoped the data could be captured with the rest of it automatically. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a pretty judgemental post about this above- deleted it as it was not kind. Anyone should be able to decide if they was to use a humidifier or not. My apologies, flapaul. I was out of line.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 80 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,490 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Chest/Lung Restriction - Impact on CPAP use? pkersey 65 6,410 03-13-2022, 10:13 PM
Last Post: pkersey
  ASV Impact on Central Apneas conphil 19 2,573 08-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: conphil
  [Equipment] Pillow/mask setting impact on data apneaeric 2 695 04-24-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Impact of Mask Leaks on AHI? Ron AKA 17 3,175 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
Question Impact of flow limits? CTcentrals 5 1,673 08-07-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: CTcentrals

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.