Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of Mask Leaks on AHI?
Impact of Mask Leaks on AHI?
With my unsuccessful trial of the Mirage Quattro full face mask, I am soldiering on with my AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask. I am currently trying a no EPR setup. Last night I thought I had a great night, with minimal leaks. I have been having trouble with the straps on the mask staying in place. But last night went great, I thought. Then I get the scolding report from SleepyHead about major leaks. So my question for others that have experience in this is whether or not mask leaks are a serious problem? Is it just an annoyance, or does it impact the flagging of events, and in particular affect AHI? Daily report capture is below.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact of Mask Leaks on AHI?
Well, I think masks leaks do impact on the numbers.

You have much centrals and it may be useful to lower EPR slowly in an effort to reduce those if you haven't already.

For me, slow reduction of EPR was what was needed together with the slow lowering of pressure which helped with the leaks.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While it wouldn’t hurt to continue to work on your leaks, I don’t think your leaks are high enough, at 5% over redline, to affect your treatment. Your 95% leak rate is acceptable. I would love to have your Med. leak rate. As long as the leaks aren’t affecting your sleep quality, I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

Due to my fine hair, I have a problem with slippage with the P10 head gear, as well. I have found that wearing them under my Ruby style chin strap works great at stopping the slippage.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The large leak rate on the Resmed starts at 24l/min but it's not like a light switch. It gradually degrades the machines ability to recognize events until around a leak rate of 30 l/min where it can't detect anything. If your just above 24l/min you probably can get by but as it goes higher it really starts hurting your treatment. Not being able to see events is why many people with large leaks think they're getting low AHI numbers. In reality the events may be there but the machine can't detect them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed the higher the leak the worse I feel in the morning and my AHI tends to reflect it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 09:19 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Well, I think masks leaks do impact on the numbers.
You have much centrals and it may be useful to lower EPR slowly in an effort to reduce those if you haven't already.
For me, slow reduction of EPR was what was needed together with the slow lowering of pressure which helped with the leaks.

I don't have a lot of data, but with the scant data I do have with EPR on, Central Incidence averaged 2.5, and Obstructive 1.8. Now after only two nights Centrals averaged 1.9, and Obstructive 0.7. So far the No EPR option is working better, and the lower pressures SHOULD be easier on the mask sealing. But that part is not real apparent yet... For me, I think centrals will remain a big problem, and I am not going to get real low AHI numbers with the current machine I have. I am trying not to let it distract me for now, and will give it two to three months to hopefully improve. I am focusing on the bringing the OA events down first.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 09:58 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: The large leak rate on the Resmed starts at 24l/min but it's not like a light switch. It gradually degrades the machines ability to recognize events until around a leak rate of 30 l/min where it can't detect anything. If your just above 24l/min you probably can get by but as it goes higher it really starts hurting your treatment. Not being able to see events is why many people with large leaks think they're getting low AHI numbers. In reality the events may be there but the machine can't detect them.

While last night was not a good example, I have seen cases where the leak occurs and then when it ends, there is a whole series of flagged events. It is kind of like the machine thinks everything is OK and it does not increase pressure, and perhaps even reduces it, and then when the leaks end the floodgate opens and the events occur due to the pressure being too low. Here is an example from Wednesday night below. 

The alternate explanation might be that the leak woke me up, I fixed the mask and the events then occur from me huffing and puffing and cursing the mask...

Thoughts on which it may be? From the example below, I sure do not see anything that I would flag during the grey leak portion. To me I look sound asleep with pretty regular breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine isn't reading any disruption in the flow due to the leak. Your looking at the flow chart and not seeing anything. That's exactly the problem the machine has with leaks. It's recording a normal flow because it's running blind. When that happens you don't know if there was events or not because the machine thinks the flow is normal and without disruption. About all you can assume is that there may well be events in the large leak area that the machine didn't record in the flow chart.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla's take would be similar to mine. The higher the leak rate, the more inaccurate the chart and event flagging will be. Like he said, it's flying blind. If the machine can't detect events due to leaks, it can't flag or address what it can't see.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 05:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Walla Walla's take would be similar to mine. The higher the leak rate, the more inaccurate the chart and event flagging will be. Like he said, it's flying blind. If the machine can't detect events due to leaks, it can't flag or address what it can't see.

That was my first thought too. However, I have looked through quite a few of these high leak grayed out area sections, and the thing that seems consistent is that the pressure and flow waveform during the gray area looks identical to the area prior to the gray area. The big change comes in right after the end of the gray area. Almost always there is a big disruption in flow and pressure, the leak gets stopped, and the rough irregular breathing starts, and events get flagged. I think I am leaning towards a wake up to fix the leak, and then events get flagged when I am in that semi awake state of irregular sporadic breathing. I can believe that somehow a leak mask the events, but it doesn't seem possible for the machine to recreate the pressures and flow pattern that was in place before the event. Just don't think the machine is that smart...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 73 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.