Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Black Dots On F&P Mask Diffuser
Black Dots On F&P Mask Diffuser
I get tiny black dots on the surface of the Diffuser for my F&P Eson Mask. These are on the face side of the mask, where the air exhausts. Does anyone know if this is normal or what causes it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Black Dots On F&P Mask Diffuser
I'm guessing it is some type of mold. I loosely draped son Resmed filter material over my Evora exhaust ports to quiet down and diffuse the air. I noticed after a week, I need to change the filter material because little black dots appear that correspond to the exhaust holes.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2023, 03:47 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I'm guessing it is some type of mold.  I loosely draped son Resmed filter material over my Evora exhaust ports to quiet down and diffuse the air.  I noticed after a week, I need to change the filter material because little black dots appear that correspond to the exhaust holes.

- Red

That's what I figured. I have wipes that will clean most of it off, but the stupid little diffusers are $22 for a pack of 10 and need to be replaced more often than I would prefer. Mine also align with the exhaust ports on the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got an air compressor? Soak the diffuser in some kind of bacteria cleaner, rinse thoroughly, then blow out the residual moisture. The Resmed P10 has the same problem and, due to its small apertures, will clog with moisture when using too much humidity.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a thead by PurpleBear on black dots on QuietAir Vents on the ResMed p30i, and a couple of YouTube videos about this.  I tested out putting the QuietAir Vent into a UV cellphone cleaner for 10 or 20 minutes in the morning, which I hypothesized would kill mold, if that was it.  Didn't seem to make any difference.  

Therefore, I tend to think it's dust rather than living organisms, but who knows.  Wish I still had my childhood microscope!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have agreed, but my CPAP intake filter is perfectly clean. I don't use the humidifier, so it has to be moisture from my breath.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I have read elsewhere that some people use a water pic device to clean the diffuser on the N30i/P30i when it gets the blackish funk. I use an N30i and have never had this problem thus cannot attest to how efficient this method is. Seems like a reasonable solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, YippeekiOH  That's an idea I had not seen -- will experiment with it!

Red, I've thought about that.  You're probably right, but it seems to me that the intake filter has a much greater surface than the tiny openings on the QuietAir Vent, so it's possible the dust is more concentrated and therefore more visible in those tiny openings.  

Very annoying that ResMed doesn't address this.  I emailed them with links to YouTube videos about the black dots, and also suggested that they sell the QuietAir Vents separately in the US as they do in Australia.  Their response was just "follow the cleaning instructions that came with your device."   Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do the red, green, blue and black blocks mean on the Oscar daily page? crazypiglady 3 481 11-12-2023, 01:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,561 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,620 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow? UncollapseMeThroat 6 1,479 09-28-2022, 10:58 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,280 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,856 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Are black VAuto machines counterfeit? Ans- NO GrumpyHere 22 3,355 10-17-2021, 10:53 AM
Last Post: GBAR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.