Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of blood pressure medication
RE: Impact of blood pressure medication
@multicast, you are in Germany, so that statement makes sense. Reducing cost of universal healthcare. I'm in USA, so more expensive the better! lol

@Expat31 - Grape fruit reduces the efficacy of Losartan

LOSARTAN POTASSIUM (Generic for COZAAR) Lifestyle Interactions
Losartan Potassium 50mg, Oral tablet

Grapefruit juice

· Severity: Major

· Notes for Consumers: Do not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while taking this medication. Grapefruit may alter the effects of your medication.

· Notes for Professionals: Advise patients to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice during losartan treatment due to the risk for decreased exposure to the active metabolite of losartan and decreased losartan efficacy. Losartan is converted to a more active metabolite via CYP2C9 and grapefruit juice is a CYP2C9 inhibitor. Coadministration with a moderate CYP2C9 inhibitor in two pharmacokinetic studies with healthy volunteers decreased concentrations of the active metabolite of losartan by 30% to 56%.

With this said, my best meds for high bp is CPAP therapy. It reduces my bp by a significant margin since breathing isn't obstructed during my sleep anymore. Thus I take only 25mg of Losartan.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had taken beta blockers for years until asthma started. It was/is a side effect for those who are at risk of getting it. Years later, after a lot of different meds that just were not controlling my hypertension very well, my new doc suggested a beta blocker. I told her why and she was "Oh, they've fixed that in some of them" So now I take Toporol XL.

Starting CPAP also helped with my hypertension and between that and the med, it is deliciously under control.

Every medication we take, we need to keep our sleep and airway in mind.

- ask pharmacy for the information sheet when getting new medication (most give it anyway)
- ask doc and pharmacy both if the medication effects sleep or airway
- ask what time of day is best to take the medication
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As several of my doctors have told me (as well as my pharmacist) that you do not want to eat grapefruit or have grapefruit juice if you are taking statins either. Other citrus juices are fine. Have to ask one of my plant biologist/botanist friends at the U why.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Homer! Much appreciated.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just curious if you can chime in, how much “throat tickling” did you experience when on Linsopril?

I’ve been on a small dose for about 3 weeks now. During the day it doesn’t seem to affect me except triggering a random cough on a rare occasion. At night when I start using my CPAP is when I start feeling the sensation. With the aid of a cough drop before bed, I have been able to power through it and fall asleep the past few nights, but last night it made me cough alot and had to take the mask off twice and try again, but I couldn’t power through it. I really don’t want to have to change medications as it has already dropped my high blood pressure quite a bit, but I don’t really want this to become a re-occurring issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2023, 08:15 AM)btbderek Wrote: Just curious if you can chime in, how much “throat tickling” did you experience when on Linsopril?

In the 5 or so weeks on the medication, I think I have had about 4 nights where I experienced the throat tickling.  Even on those nights, it was only a few coughs.
Post Reply Post Reply
@CorrruptAlligator -- thanks for this information about grapefruit and Losartan.  I usually read inserts carefully but had somehow overlooked or forgotten this re Losartan.  I tend to avoid grapefruit just in case, because it interacts with many medications, so I hadn't tripped up yet, but it's a timely reminder.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 126 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 361 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,028 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 272 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 989 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 566 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.