Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of blood pressure medication
Impact of blood pressure medication
Hello,

Started blood pressure medication (Lisinopril) a few weeks ago.  Can feel the negative impacts difference when i sleep and wake up.  

What have others done different, if anything, when prescribed blood pressure meds to aid in the sleep quality??  

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact of blood pressure medication
Did a google search. ACE inhibitors such as Lisinopril can cause respiratory inflammation which in turn can increase obstructive apnea events. They can also cause insomnia.

Get with your doc about this. Until then, if you are taking it in the PM, switch it to the AM. If already taking it in the AM, stop caffeine use several hours before you typically go to bed. It could also be a matter of just adjusting to the medication and it will even out.

The articles also say beta blockers can cause insomnia (but not the inflammation) which is why I take mine in the morning.

Oh, and you can also talk to your pharmacist if you can't get with your GP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
ACE inhibitors can have side effects. For me, it was severe coughing. The bad one is swelling of the tongue., causing breathing problems. Even a slight reaction could cause an increase in OAs.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, kemeky  There are a ton of different medications for high blood pressure that work in different ways.  If you talk with your doctor, as Paula suggests, there are many other prescription options.  

Also, is this showing up in OSCAR?  Maybe there's some change in your settings that might help in the meantime.
Post Reply Post Reply
I worked with a Pharmacist to try out different BP meds. I switched to Losartan from Lisinopril, and it worked out much better. So, I recommend talking to your doc about trying other meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome information!! Thank you for the input. I will definitely talk with my provider about various options.

In terms of showing up on Oscar, the restlessness or anxiousness corresponds with the increased numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't tolerate anything but a beta blocker (Atenolol) and I have tried many. Also take a nitrate (isosorbide dinatrate, off label) and I have not noticed any difference in my sleep. Also no need for frequent bathroom trips with either. Well worth discussing it with your Dr to get the one that works the best for you.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2022, 09:02 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I switched to Losartan 

Me too, with great success.  No more coughing and no eczema on my legs anymore. Betablockers had negative impact on my mind and mood and on my erectile abilities as well. Avoid them whenever possible. If possible switch to a sartan combined with a diuretic.

IMHO doctors start with ACE inhibitors instead of sartans because ACE inhibitors are less expensive ...

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
@corruptalligator

Losartin, grapefruit juice and furanocoumarins. 

If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while taking a course of Losartin, the furanocoumarins in the grapefruit  can double/triple the absorption rate of this medicine, and various others. 

The last time I looked, about 10 years ago, the total was more than 50 to date. 

I had big problems until I read the research carried out by a Canadian doctor,  Doctor David Bailey about these  interactions

David Bailey I think is known to be the first person the run the 3 minute mile. 

What I am describing is the briefest of the briefest explanaction. 

The full understanding is online. 

As a note, my wife had a problem some years ago with a different medicine she was taking. .She likes a grapefruit at breakfast. Now she is very careful. 

Maybe best to those who are interested is to find the detailed list produced by Dr Bailey's team for information. 

I did have the list, but can't find it right now. If I can retrieve it or search on line, I will post it on the forum. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m glad you asked about this. I just started taking Lisinopril, albeit a small dose, Monday. Will keep a close eye on it and see how it goes, will report my findings if anything pops up. I’m already struggling getting good sleep so I definitely hope I don’t have a negative reaction.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 126 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 274 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 361 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,037 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 273 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 990 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 567 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.