Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of one night without CPAP
Impact of one night without CPAP
Once every 3-4 months or so, I wake up knowing something's gone dreadfully wrong. The first thing I do is look at the humidifier tank. Sure enough, completely full of water. I looked at the data and realized that I only used it for ONE hour and didn't get it back on when I awoke an hour later.

It's a reminder of what a person with severe sleep apnea and without CPAP goes through the following day. It feels like
- someone's taken a blow-torch to my heart in the middle of the night
- the heart beats in a sickened way throughout the day
- my vision is unfocused throughout the day
- an aching persistent headache throughout the day

I'm reminded of what things were like in the days just before implementing the CPAP solution. I hate using CPAP every night and having to go through the whole maintenance thing every day.

Having said that, I'll be kissing that CPAP machine tonight before bed and thanking the heavens for its existence. I can't possibly imagine what things would be like for me without the CPAP solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact of one night without CPAP
I have been on cpap for 7 whole days and feel great. I am tho already tired of the mask. Been thinking of skipping a day to remind myself what it was like last week and all those years prior.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I've finally got used to it. Now when I lay down without the mask on it feels weird.

CPAP - at least you won't get smothered in your sleep.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that there are times when the mask is really uncomfortable. I cut the night a little short, sometimes, because I don't want to mess with another start up due to a broken seal, and leaks. About a month ago, I was sound asleep, and then I wasn't. I felt I was not getting enough air, so checked to make sure machine was on. Everything checked out ok. I took the mask off, and found I could breathe better, so I left it off, and went back to sleep. Couple of hours later I was in the ER with BP over 230, and heart rate of 150, having a heart attack. I guess that initial breathlessness was the onset of that attack, but it did not progress beyond that point for awhile. Next time I have a feeling I am not getting enough air, I sure as hell won't go back to sleep! And, I will be more diligent about using the cpap, even if I have to get out of bed to deal with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think of it as C-Crap.

The other day I was lying in bed, and pretended I was going to sleep without
a mask on. It felt really nice to bury my mask-less face in the pillow... but sleeping without
C-Crap is not an option...
Post Reply Post Reply
The impact of one night without CPAP?

It feels like you "impacted" a large heavy object at a high rate of speed.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 06:48 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The impact of one night without CPAP?

OMMOHY

FA = −FB (Actioni contrariam semper et æqualem esse reactionem)
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 06:48 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The impact of one night without CPAP?

OMMOHY

Maybe to some; not to everyone.

One of the problems of "not feeling crappy" is that feeling crappy is a good motivator to get therapy and to stay on it.

I never felt bad at all, which is why I don't feel any better now. It is also why I avoided the therapy for so long.

So every couple of weeks or so I fall asleep without the mask. I hate that, but the associated nocturia this creates wakes me in a couple of hours, and I get the rest of the night with the mask (and no more nocturia).

But it makes me feel like I'm going backwards, regressing. And of course, I feel the same regardless.

But I firmly believe that xPAP therapy has changed my life and provided significant benefits. I just don't feel any different physically when I wake up in the morning (other than that rush to the bathroom that I no longer have). But I'll take the absence of brain fog, lack of propensity to fall asleep in meetings or when my car is pointed at a bridge abutment, and apparent increase in effective IQ any day. Those are all definite differences, and may be extending my life significantly. Certainly can't hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2015, 08:53 PM)saltydawg2 Wrote: And, I will be more diligent about using the cpap, even if I have to get out of bed to deal with it.

In situations like that, try using the ramp.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 08:44 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I never felt bad at all, which is why I don't feel any better now.

You don't feel any better?

Quote:But I'll take the absence of brain fog, lack of propensity to fall asleep in meetings or when my car is pointed at a bridge abutment, and apparent increase in effective IQ any day.

The absence of brain fog, not falling asleep, and an increase in IQ are not examples of feeling better?

You and I have a very different notion of what it means to feel better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,132 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 882 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 350 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 432 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 634 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.