Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of one night without CPAP
RE: Impact of one night without CPAP
(05-09-2015, 01:46 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Once every 3-4 months or so, I wake up knowing something's gone dreadfully wrong. The first thing I do is look at the humidifier tank. Sure enough, completely full of water. I looked at the data and realized that I only used it for ONE hour and didn't get it back on when I awoke an hour later.

It's a reminder of what a person with severe sleep apnea and without CPAP goes through the following day. It feels like
- someone's taken a blow-torch to my heart in the middle of the night
- the heart beats in a sickened way throughout the day
- my vision is unfocused throughout the day
- an aching persistent headache throughout the day

I'm reminded of what things were like in the days just before implementing the CPAP solution. I hate using CPAP every night and having to go through the whole maintenance thing every day.

Having said that, I'll be kissing that CPAP machine tonight before bed and thanking the heavens for its existence. I can't possibly imagine what things would be like for me without the CPAP solution.

I personally feel so much better since I started therapy that there would have to be a power outage for me to not use my machine. Being able to get up energized is incredible! Every day chores, work, etc. is no longer a monumental effort! Wish I had been diagnosed a lot sooner.

I understand about hating to use cpap, it is a bit of a hassle but the alternative makes me love it. I joke with my husband that it is a good thing I do not have to choose between him or my machine! Smile))) It does serve him right for teasing me so much about the hose!
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't imagine going a night without cpap, and I'd feel real bad for anyone around me.
Post Reply Post Reply
After making breakfast I stuck the card in the desktop to find an 1.5 hr break in usage. I felt ok this morning. Around 1400 I ran out of gas... Now at 1950 It is a battle to stay awake until bed time.
I guess I found out what its like to miss any hose time. I have no recollection of not hooking up after potty break but SH and my physical state make it quite clear that I did exactly that. grrrrrr
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll miss a night every 2-3 months, due to different reason. Sometimes I'll rip the mask off in my sleep. Sometimes I'll get up to use the restroom, lay back down and pass out.

The next day I feel like I got ran over by an 18-wheeler.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2015, 08:44 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I never felt bad at all, which is why I don't feel any better now. It is also why I avoided the therapy for so long.

I think this is one of my issues with therapy. I think I am actually worse off since I started therapy 3 1/2 weeks ago. While my wife would tell me that I snored loudly, would stop breathing multiple times a night (confirmed by my sleep study where I stopped breathing more than 40 times per hour) and would gagged as I sprung back to life and started breathing again I never remembered waking up during the night. Now with the mask it wakes me a couple of times a night and I have a difficult time falling back to sleep. Now I feel just as tired in the morning as I did before therapy. I am definitely more comfortable without the mask and can roll side to side if I want as I find staying on my back all night difficult.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's been 6 months for me now. Would I like to just lay down and fall asleep without being tethered to a hose and machine....of course... but don't want to feel like I did prior to CPAP.

I would struggle to stay awake at work, only to come home and fall asleep while watching the news.

Getting up every other hour to use bathroom was not fun.

I would catch myself nodding off while driving. I know that God was watching over me and anyone in my path. Oh-jeez

When I get discouraged, I just think of all the above, and how that has changed for the better. I don't want to go even one night without.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 02:00 AM)wxmcpo Wrote:
(05-11-2015, 08:44 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I never felt bad at all, which is why I don't feel any better now. It is also why I avoided the therapy for so long.

I think this is one of my issues with therapy. I think I am actually worse off since I started therapy 3 1/2 weeks ago. While my wife would tell me that I snored loudly, would stop breathing multiple times a night (confirmed by my sleep study where I stopped breathing more than 40 times per hour) and would gagged as I sprung back to life and started breathing again I never remembered waking up during the night. Now with the mask it wakes me a couple of times a night and I have a difficult time falling back to sleep. Now I feel just as tired in the morning as I did before therapy. I am definitely more comfortable without the mask and can roll side to side if I want as I find staying on my back all night difficult.

wxmcpo,
I think it's time you downloaded the SleepyHead software and start to track your therapy. It takes time to get used to a mask. Maby the one you are using does not fit you properly. Your mask should be comfortable without being too tight and allow you to sleep on your side or roll over without too many issues.
Your pressure settings may need adjusted, but without using software, it's hard to know what is going on.

It would be a good idea if you haven't done so already, is to start your own thread on this subject, as you would get a lot more attention and responses to your issue. Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2015, 06:48 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The impact of one night without CPAP?

It feels like you "impacted" a large heavy object at a high rate of speed.

OMMOHY

^^ This!

There was one occasion I fell back to sleep after taking off the mask and "slept" for about an hour, and then another where the power went out at 1am and stayed out til the next evening. Those experiences left me feeling so bad that I will never willingly sleep without it, and after the power outage I immediately ponied up the bucks for a c-100, although I have yet to try it out!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
A DAY WITHOUT CPAP - as conveyed to me by my doctor

....can be like any other day before CPAP it's just the things that you can't see which CPAP treats which then extends your life by keeping other diseases, illnesses, heart ailments, etc. away. To give an example, your heart may be likened to a boxer. Like the boxer, your heart has only so many punches it can take. When the boxer eventually has taken too many punches he collapses or some other horrible thing happens. Your heart takes a punch or many punches every night you are without CPAP. Eventually this pounding will take its toll. So in a sense CPAP is a form of preventative therapy and in my mind that is reason alone to stick with it. JMHO.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 02:00 AM)wxmcpo Wrote: I think this is one of my issues with therapy. I think I am actually worse off since I started therapy 3 1/2 weeks ago.

I was the same way. I hated the hose because it kept waking me up. But it's saving your life because without it you'll not only continue to live a miserable sleep-deprived life, you'll die early of a heart attack or stroke.

As your body adapts to the bother of the hose and mask, you'll regain your ability to stay asleep longer. It just takes time. Meanwhile, if you think you'd be better off without the hose you're not only wrong, you're your worst enemy. Even sleeping occasionally without it sends the wrong signals to your brain. It needs to learn that the mask and hose are there to stay, and that it is safe to fall asleep because your airway will not collapse. When you sleep without the mask you teach your brain that that it's not safe to sleep because your airway collapses and you stop breathing and have to awoken to breathe. The awakenings happen, you just don't have a recollection of them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 72 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 349 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 633 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.