Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact of "% spontaneous cycled breaths"
Impact of "% spontaneous cycled breaths"
In ResScan on the statistics tab under respiratory rate there is a number for % spontaneous cycled breaths. This is a number that shows up from my VPAP Auto 25 operating in spontaneous mode. I presume this means breaths where the patient goes from inhale to exhale before the machine goes from to EPAP because of the Ti(max) setting.

My real question is, "What is the importance of this number"? Is it just telling me that I need to increase my Ti(max) setting if it is below a certain percentage and what is that percentage?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the answer to this question?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact of "% spontaneous cycled breaths"
Payton.. I'd like to know the answer to that one too. I'll follow this thread to see if anyone comes up with an answer.

It would seem you answered your own question
http://www.resmed.com/ap/clinicians/niv/...clinicians
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have chased down some hits from Google but have not seen anything definitive. Mostly questions about " What is % spontaneous cycled breaths?". It does seem that this might be more of a ventilator concern. I also noticed someone saying that they were getting both % cycled and triggered figures.

I had found the link you posted but it looked to me like it was for ventilators. I also do not know if it is something that needs to be addressed if it is lower than say 90% or some other target.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton: for our machines, it's the % of triggers from EPAP to IPAP that we initiate by inhalation. i.e.-- those not caused by Timax.

I believe, with machines that have ST mode, they have a timer on both IPAP and EPAP. So, they report the % of both cycled and triggered.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Per the S9 VPAP Auto Clinician's Manual, the S mode, ST mode, and the Vauto mode display "% spontaneous triggering or cycling". That is a quote from the chart on page 17 of the manual. I do not know if that says that they display either/or or if it means they display both. What I thought I saw was "%SpontT" and "%SpontC" and maybe it was for an ST machine.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to a ResMed person this morning. Had left a message requesting information. ResMed person said that the % spontaneous cycled breaths figure is strictly for ventilators and has no importance for CPAP of VPAP. As far as the respiratory rate doubling question that I asked she referred me to my DME. Oh well.

Intrerestingly (to me anyway), my % spontaneous cycled breaths (SpontC) decreased from 90+ to approximately 60 when I raised my Ti(min). Last night, I reduced my Ti(min) from 1.2 to 1.0 and my SpontC this morning was 91.

On the flip side, as I raised my Ti(min) slowly from 0.3 to 1.2 the amount of spiky respiratory rate doubling reduced to almost nothing. It seems to have come back a little last night when I lowered my Ti(min) from 1.2 to 1.0.

Well apparently neither measurement anomaly is of much physical importance so I am going to let well enough alone.

retired_guy,

Its too bad you do not have a VPAP. Just look at all of the settings you could play with. Are you jealous?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 856 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 292 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,335 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,683 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.