Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Impact on removing mask
Impact on removing mask
Hi,
New to all this and just started to look at my stats.

What is the impact on removing your mask for say 20 minutes before putting it back on again.

Mine does not shut off and continues to blow air.

Would this be picked up or regarded as something else.

Would it be best to turn it off and start again if I plan to do this.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Impact on removing mask
The software will report it as a large leak and no other data will be recorded during that period. I always turn mine off if I know I'll be away longer than a couple of minutes. It does no harm to leave it run unless you consider the loss of the humidifier water and electricity used an issue.

As a side note, I often pull my mask away from my face for a few seconds when I want to make a software marker to indicate the time that I awoke during the night. I'm not sure that's of any real value but I like to see how the graphs change and how they looked prior to and when I am first aware of waking up.

There is an actual drawback to turning the machine off if you are using the ramp feature and have it set for a long period. Ever new start initializes that ramp and you speed a lot of time at below therapy level. Some people think that's not good but I doubt it amounts to much since you are likely awake during much of that period.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I disconnect the hose from my mask and switch the machine off when I go for a nocturnal 'wee walk'.... it saves false data, and the machine will continue to record once turned back on, it will simply show the time the machine was switched off for.

And walking around in the dark with my mask on will frighten the crap out of any burglars lurking in the house.. they will think they have stumbled across the residence on one Hannibal Lecter. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys

I noted in one of my days I think I had a big leak
I think it was due to me having a big leak and a drink of water

We are meeting up with my grandkids over Xmas and reckon if they see me all geared up it will scare the hell out of them

I am already being called darth vada
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2016, 05:22 AM)rich2905 Wrote: Thanks guys

I noted in one of my days I think I had a big leak
I think it was due to me having a big leak and a drink of water

We are meeting up with my grandkids over Xmas and reckon if they see me all geared up it will scare the hell out of them

I am already being called darth vada

The first time my 1 and 3 year old grandsons stayed over after I started cpap we sat on the bed and I explained I needed it to help me breathe while I slept. I let them handle everything after warning them it was off limits unless I was with them. They thought I was funny instead of being afraid when I put my mask on. When my daughter picked them up the next day the oldest grandson led her into the bedroom and solemnly explained to her what the cpap machine was and that no one is supposed to touch it unless Gramps says they can. Since I changed over to a nasal pillow mask, which of course has a short hose attached, they tease me every time they see a picture of an elephant by telling me it looks like me. It has pretty much become a non-issue. Coffee

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think from what I've read around here most of us turn the ramp feature off, so turning off the machine to get up for a 2 minute 'potty break' shouldn't affect the stats much at all.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
And out of the mouth's of babe's we get this insight! like

(08-28-2016, 07:08 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Since I changed over to a nasal pillow mask, which of course has a short hose attached, they tease me every time they see a picture of an elephant by telling me it looks like me.

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 125 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 658 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 948 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,542 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,137 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,309 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.