Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Compression Stockings?
RE: Compression Stockings?

I don't think they were meant to be a substitute for CPAP.

I don't think they were to be worn 24/7, just during the day.

I think that wearing them during the day if you are sedentary may help prevent the fluid at night from rushing up to the upper part of your body because it helps with venous insufficiency.
Probably helps with fluid build up which causes the eyes to get heavy and puffy as well as the hands in the morning when you get up.

I love my CPAP too!
Post Reply Post Reply
The article says, "Researchers fitted a group of sleep apnea sufferers with compression stockings they wore for a week, followed by a one-night visit to the polysomography clinic to monitor sleep apnea. The test subjects then went a week without wearing the stockings and came back for a second monitoring session."

I WONDER if when they went back to the polysomography clinic to monitor the sleep apnea, did they have them on CPAP therapy?

From those that I know that use compression stockings, they are prescribed for them during the day when they are on their feet, not when they are off of their feet.

One thing I will say is I cannot understand why medicare refuses to cover compression stockings for those that a doctor says needs to wear them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 06:05 AM)me50 Wrote: The article says, "Researchers fitted a group of sleep apnea sufferers with compression stockings they wore for a week, followed by a one-night visit to the polysomography clinic to monitor sleep apnea. The test subjects then went a week without wearing the stockings and came back for a second monitoring session."

I WONDER if when they went back to the polysomography clinic to monitor the sleep apnea, did they have them on CPAP therapy?

From those that I know that use compression stockings, they are prescribed for them during the day when they are on their feet, not when they are off of their feet.

One thing I will say is I cannot understand why medicare refuses to cover compression stockings for those that a doctor says needs to wear them.

Your last paragraph I agree with 100%. It is my understanding, at least for me, that a pair of compression stockings of the 'thigh high' variety can cost $115 and they last approximately 6 months. The only good thing, financially, is that you can deduct the cost of them when you file your income taxes because they were prescribed by a physician. I do find that compression stockings are a WHOLE lot more convenient than wrapping my legs with compression bandages. On the days when I am feeling a bit grumpy about wearing them, my DH reminds me of the days when I did have to "wrap" my legs.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 01:05 AM)robysue Wrote: All I can say is the accuracy of the rest of the article was questionable. Among things that I caught and question the accuracy of:

1) A tone that made it sound as though surgery is the preferred way to treat OSA and that CPAP is considered a second rate treatment instead of the gold standard treatment.

2) A uniquely negative view of the potential problems with CPAP that borders on the comical:
Quote:Looking a little like scuba gear to be worn to bed, the machines can dry out the throat and sinuses and incubate upper respiratory infections as well as irritate the skin and scare away bed partners.
Scare away bed partners???? And incubate upper respiratory infections??? Most of the folks I know have fewer upper respiratory infections after starting PAP than they had when their OSA was still untreated.

3) Then there was this interesting juxtaposition of sentences:
Quote:In the USA, people with sleep apnea may spend tens of thousands of dollars on medical treatments that do not work.

Surgery and CPAP are not the only interventions for sleep apnea. Breathe-Right strips, tennis balls sewed into pillows, didgeridoo lessons, and vocalization exercises all have been tried as treatments for obstructive sleep apnea, with varying degrees of success.
The first sentence is true: Way too much money is spent by Americans trying to fix their OSA without using a CPAP. But look at that list of things that are listed as possible interventions, with the implication that they work in enough cases to be considered valid medical ways of treating OSA: The only one that's accepted is the tennis balls trick, and that's only considered appropriate if the OSA is almost 100% positional. And oddly enough, prescription oral appliances, which can be effective is left off that list.

4) Then there's the description of the study itself:
Quote:Researchers at the chronic venous insufficiency clinic at the Clinique La Pitié-Salpêtrière in Paris, led by Dr. Stefania Redolfi of the University of Brescia in Italy, fitted a group of sleep apnea sufferers with compression stockings they wore for a week, followed by a one-night visit to the polysomography clinic to monitor sleep apnea. The test subjects then went a week without wearing the stockings and came back for a second monitoring session. A second group of test subjects were also tested in two sessions, wearing the stockings during the second week rather than the first.

The researchers found that stockings reduced nighttime swelling of leg veins by 62%, and also reduced nighttime swelling in the neck by 60%. The number of breathless episodes per night was reduced by 36%.
No mention of the severity of the test patients' OSA. No mention of whether these people were using a CPAP before the experiment. If they were, then discontinuing it right before wearing the stockings could skew the results in favor of the stockings. In the studies I've read that use patients who regularly use CPAPs, the patients are often, but not always asked to quit the CPAP for a few days to a week before the study begins, just to make sure the apnea has had a chance to deteriorate to the patient's normal untreated OSA before starting the treatment.

But the most glaring thing in my opinion is acting as though a 36% reduction in the number of apneas was enough to be considered an effective treatment. If you have an AHI of even as little as 23, a 36% reduction in AHI still leaves you with an AHI >= 15, the boarder of "moderate" sleep apnea, which routinely gets you an invite to join the hosehead club ...

I so agree with all of your points~!

I too felt that the 'article' was written in a very slanted way. Besides, we all know that a one night test, even done twice, is not a very conclusive way to see the entire picture.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I was always given compression stockings following surgery. My surgeon was not too generous authorizing me to remove them. He was especially adamant I wear them most of the time in the first several weeks following surgery to prevent blood clots. I wore them full time for the extended time in the hospital and was told to wear them at home when discharged too. I was never a fan of them and I wasn't real good about wearing them once home. I felt guilty about it though because he made such a big deal about it. I don't see how they would work with OSA though and I completely agree with robysue's assessment of the article. A lot in the article was not accurate. The first glaring inaccuracy stating surgery is the first treatment of OSA and CPAP secondary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised Compression stockings may ease sleep apnea JoeyWallaby 4 1,143 12-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Last Post: harrywr2
  [News] Compression Stockings May Ease Sleep Apnea ApneaNews 4 2,639 01-14-2015, 01:48 AM
Last Post: me50
  Wearing Stockings (Is it True?) Dreamcatcher 20 9,101 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Last Post: me50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.