Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Implication of these numbers
Implication of these numbers
Its only one night. I know the definition of these terms. I just do not know what they imply or where to find out some good definitions (other than becoming a doctor of sleep medicine).

Reported by the ResMed software;
Apnea Index 6.0
Obstructive 1.5
Central 4.5

The graphs do answer one question the doctor never answered - Each time I wake up (almost every hour), it is immediately preceded by an event.

I am using a P10 pillow mask. The software shows a leakage of 24L/Min but I see little correlation between the leakage chart and waking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Implication of these numbers
(09-16-2014, 11:47 AM)sleepyCoder Wrote: Its only one night. I know the definition of these terms. I just do not know what they imply or where to find out some good definitions (other than becoming a doctor of sleep medicine).

Reported by the ResMed software;
Apnea Index 6.0
Obstructive 1.5
Central 4.5

The graphs do answer one question the doctor never answered - Each time I wake up (almost every hour), it is immediately preceded by an event.

The numbers aren't bad for a first night. The CA's will probably come down all by themselves as your body gets used to the therapy. So I'd just keep doing what you're doing for now, and see what happens after a few days.

(09-16-2014, 11:47 AM)sleepyCoder Wrote: I am using a P10 pillow mask. The software shows a leakage of 24L/Min but I see little correlation between the leakage chart and waking.

What shows 24? There are 4 leak numbers presented, min med 95% and max. Max simply means you hit that particular number once, and is not particularly useful. 95% means that 95% of the time you were at or below the given number. That can be meaningful but can also be very misleading. Med is actually the most useful to me. That shows the overall range throughout the night. Min is about as useful as max.

The graph is the best thing to review to see how the leaks are doing. The goal is to keep them under the red line for the majority of the night. But smooth out the high points that might occur off and on because a few of those do not substantially impact your overnight performance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - that was quite helpful. It is a problem being a retired engineer who always dealt with numbers. All these numbers - so little specific experience.

Under 'statistics', and leak, median is 0.0, 95% is 4.8 and max is 8.4

Looks like I got the 24 from the leak graph. I suspect it is just that, 'a red line' since all my numbers are way below that 'red line'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, those are great numbers. The red line is at 24, which is the limit Resmed has by design set for leaks to insure proper therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 01:10 PM)sleepyCoder Wrote: Under 'statistics', and leak, median is 0.0, 95% is 4.8 and max is 8.4

I can see where that would be a little confusing. median is 0.0...come now Wink Oh well..it not a perfect system but still works well.

I have a similar background to you and am in awe of how much data these machines can mine from a fan and measuring the various pressures as they occur. Simply amazing..

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Always be aware that other numbers *can* be suspect *if* you leak rate gets wonky on you. Keeping a low leak rate on a regalar basis is (in my mind) a key goal in good therapy. Others my disagree with my opinion. But in all my years, it seems that when I get my leaks to stay under control my other numbers fall in line and look nice as well

When I have a 'bad' leak night, I then look to the graph to see if it is an isolated event, or if the leak numbers are bad for most of the night. My most favorite mask consistently gives me bad leak numbers - bad, using that mask is better than no use at all.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 121 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,021 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 512 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 539 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] AM97 Therapy Thread: Help me interpret OSCAR and get my numbers right am97 6 779 07-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.