Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fear of Suffocation
RE: Fear of Suffocation
Well, I have to agree with Zonk, for the average user.
I am using a dumb brick of a machine right now and I have had to go to great lengths to engineer solutions
to make up for the short comings of my current "blower".
Soon I will be getting an S9 Autoset in myself for all the features and I can deligate the "brick" RemSTAR to a backup.
Smile

"If you can't learn new things, no one can help you. If you don't stop learning new things, nothing can stop you."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 07:45 PM)Cleome Wrote: Thay sounds good to me. Does anyone think that the Elite will make it easier for me to exhale? It seems as if I concentrate a lot on exhaling, and if the Elite makes it easier, then I want it, and also i will be able to see how my treatment is going!!

Cleome, I also had trouble exhaling at first. I exhale against a pressure of 16, but after about six weeks it started getting easier. Your body will adjust over time. Stick with it and eventually you won't be able to sleep without the mask Smile. After three months I hardly notice the pressure when I'm breathing ( when my ears pop it gives itself away). Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
You can adapt to exhaling against that kind of pressure.
It takes a while though and seems horrible at first.
Now it just takes me a few minutes each night to get used to it, then I don't even feel it.
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you have the EPR enabled. Like zonk said, it is available on the Escape.

EPR is Exhale Pressure Relief meaning it drops the pressure down 1 - 3 points on exhale. Each manufacturer has different name for it. PR's name is x-Flex (the x varies depending on machine).

Do you have the clinician manual? It is the same for the S9 Elite, Escape, Autoset, and the Escape Auto (which you should also avoid).
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help understand what caused suffocation feeling AlamedaBeachBum 6 1,208 01-09-2022, 10:29 PM
Last Post: AlamedaBeachBum
  Dreamwear Cushion - Suffocation Feeling Dedwin0927 6 1,329 06-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Dedwin0927
  New CPAP User Having Anxiety Insomnia Fear of Sleep Apneas Achilles76 7 1,171 06-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woken by feeling of Suffocation subyroo 8 1,395 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] fear mousetrap351 4 1,002 09-22-2019, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [CPAP] Any advice for a new cpap user who has a fear of things covering her face. Kbowie78 11 3,717 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
  Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away? linn 13 4,016 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: linn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.