Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Import duty and GST into Australia
Import duty and GST into Australia
Does anyone know if I will have to pay import duty, gst or any other charges when I buy a machine and mask from USA,  The total cost is around $1,350.00AUD including postage of approx $120.00 AID
Thanks john
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Import duty and GST into Australia
Hi John,
            CPAPs are exempt from GST (Medical Equipment), so no issue there.
There is a 50 dollar import processing charge for items valued at over 1000 dollars.

Steve.

From ATO Website:
Goods with a declared or assessed value of more than AUD1000
If the goods you have imported have a declared or assessed value of more than AUD1000, you will be sent a First Notice by Australia Post advising that you will need to lodge an Import Declaration with us for the goods.
The Import Declaration will be assessed for duty and taxes and an import processing charge will also be applied. After you have lodged your Import Declaration, we will advise you of the amount you need to pay before your goods can be delivered.
Goods with a value over AUD1000 are unable to be to be delivered by Australia Post unless an Import Declaration is made and any duty, taxes and charges owing are paid in full
If you take no action within 30 to 45 days of receiving a First Notice then Australia Post may return the goods to the sender (excluding tobacco and tobacco products).
Post Reply Post Reply
I got this from another forum in Australia. You shouldn't have to pay. Most of the suppliers from the US know what to put on the paperwork.

I asked them with my order to make sure B124 but the FedEx docket had B128. Had no problem, so I guess they already know what it should be.
Got the GST code from the following site, look around the B12x range https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Carg/CMR-...tion-Codes

You shouldn't have to pay customs, but the import processing fee will apply: http://www.border.gov.au/Customsnotices/...015-44.pdf

Just as an FYI, I think the applicable customs classification is 9019.20.00/85 in http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-supp...er-90#9019
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Steve for all that info, that's great news
Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect thanks so much
Post Reply Post Reply
This duty applies only to brand new goods. If it's second hand then it doesn't attract any duty.
Post Reply Post Reply
I imported a machine recently and had no dramas. Somehow, wasn't asked for any payment of any sort. HTH
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great, hope the same for me, thanks for the info
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2017, 06:04 AM)BHappy Wrote: I imported a machine recently and had no dramas. Somehow, wasn't asked for any payment of any sort. HTH

Do you mean you received your machine to your home address and without any manual intervention for custom clearance and lodging any form? 

If you don't mind can you please share which online supplier did you order your cpap from. I am also looking to order my first cpap from online and this will help me to make my decision.

Regards,
Kamran

(05-26-2017, 05:06 PM)jtprop Wrote: Does anyone know if I will have to pay import duty, gst or any other charges when I buy a machine and mask from USA,  The total cost is around $1,350.00AUD including postage of approx $120.00 AID
Thanks john

Hi, when you ordered online, did you have to upload prescription for your cpap?

Also, if you don't mind can you please share which online supplier did you order your cpap from. I am also looking to order my first cpap from online and this will help me to make my decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my Resmed from supplier 10.
I placed my order, payed my money and the machine & mask arrived at my door less then 2 weeks later.
That was about 2 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,607 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 175 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Slept past noon- Oscar did not import data coolbranch 5 524 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 3,964 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
Question [Equipment] OSCAR and ResMed oximeter data import Filbert 2 780 08-01-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Best O2 monitor to import into OSCAR? arborgent 9 1,859 01-23-2023, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My DME cant import my emailed SD card data, can I export all days to a pdf? ImAlwaysTiredd 7 726 12-28-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.