Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Importance of RERA
Importance of RERA
Hi everyone,

I wonder about the importance we must give to the presence or absence of RERA. Those near-wake that happen when our brain doesn't like something, like lacking in oxygen.  

My point is that I still have obstruction apnea and some central at the amount of about 10 an hour _CA  2 to 3_.  But as long as I don't have RERA I do hope that my sleep is not too much disturbed, so I could be glad with those numbers. The AHI are about 10 to 15 seconds each.

The reason I ask is that when I put the pressure too high I get more Central, reaching a point where my CA are more frequent than my OA. And, last but not least, I do suffer from severe rhinitis and pressure above 10 will wake me completely and in pain and my charts show that I was sleeping with my mouth open for the last 15 to 20 minutes. 

So I try to get a compromise with AHI at 8 to 10 with 2 to 3 central and no RERA. 

But is this helping or I could as well stop the treatment?

Note that I treat my rhinitis with all I can, humidity, spray, gel etc

Thank you 
Sabee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Importance of RERA
What were the results of your sleep study? Please post a redacted copy if you have it. Hopefully you can get your AHI below 5 but it's hard to make recommendations without data. I see you have Sleepyhead. Please post some data as described in the links in my signature.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I made a mistake, I just wanted to have information about the importance of RERA. Bonjour is already helping me with my charts and I am to post my last days charts for him to guide me with my pressure settings. Here I just wanted to have a general information about RERAs and gave a few settings as examples. But maybe it doesn't work like that. 
Basically I just wanted to know if RERAs are bad news or just another problem not worse than AHI. 

Sorry if I should't have

Sabee
Post Reply Post Reply
The big trouble with RERAs is identifying them.  They typically are a series of flow limited breaths ending in an Arousal. Because they end in arousal by definition they are bad for your sleep.  The most reliable way I know of finding RERAs is to view an expanded view of the flow rate and scan thru until you find them.  

Quote:If electing to score Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals RERA, score a respiratory event as a RERA if there is a sequence of breaths lasting at least 10 seconds characterized by increasing respiratory effort or by flattening of the inspiratory portion of the nasal pressure (diagnostic study) or PAP device flow (titration study) waveform leading to arousal from sleep when the sequence of breaths does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea.
Optimizing Therapy-RERA wiki article
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I asked because I saw RERAs on my charts for the first time. I wondered if things were getting worse. Since you advised me to cut the pressure at 10 I find it is most comfortable so I don't feel like rising it back. The first night at 10 I saw RERAs on Sleepy head chart but now there are none or so few.
I'll post some nights charts it will explain surely how it goes

Thank you 
Sabee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 232 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 714 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 749 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,361 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 612 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP CONTROL srlevine1 2 451 07-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,059 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.