Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone been "cured" by cpap?
Has anyone been "cured" by cpap?
I've had my cpap machine since March of this year. I adjusted pretty well to using my machine but The last month or so I've had trouble sleeping with it and usually end up ripping off my mask in the middle of the night after 3-4 hours of use.
I seem to sleep much better after the mask is off.

So last night as an experiment, I slept without my mask and recorded my sleep with Dream Talk, an I pad app. I used this app back in January to record my sleep, I could hear my snoring and apnea events. It recorded 130-160 snoring/apnea events. I showed it to my sleep doctor the first time I saw him, he was amazed and he was able to use it to justify my need for treatment.

Anyway, last night I recorded my sleep without my cpap, and I had no snoring or apnea events! I've also lost about 15 lbs. I'm going to record a few more nights, but has anyone else seen cpap not just treat but help/cure their apnea?

Thanks for your inputSmile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone been "cured" by cpap?
Cpap does not cure. It treats symptoms as the airflow splints open your airway while it is being used. Perhaps the weight loss helped. It cannot permanently alter your physical structure. Perhaps you slept in different positions for much of those two nights. Perhaps you had other breathing issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Losing the weight is helping, the CPAP just treats the problem. I've lost 50lbs this year and should go in for an evaluation. I'd like to lose another 50lbs and be off the CPAP by the new year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to record my sleep for the next few nights without my cpap to see if it continues. This was totally unexpected, I was just trying to see if my sleep had changed after treatment and to see if I could figure out what was interrupting my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking at descriptions of the app you mentioned, and I see it records snoring and/or any talking during sleep. I saw no evidence of it being able to record apneas, as a data capable xPAP machine can. In addition to seeing no description of apnea detection, there are also hypopneas (partial airway blockage) as well as the possibility of central apneas (clear airway events) that are all a part of the apnea family, if you will.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Chrysos, as verification of your no apnea conclusion from the app, download and try Sleepyhead which can display what your Auto machine "sees" during the nighttime hours you are using it. That way, you will gain specific, detailed info on your apnea situation (there's lots of help available here on the board to understand what the software data shows).

Unless you never had apnea in the first place, my guess is that data from your machine will not agree with the "no apnea" conclusion you get from using the app.
As has already been stated, xPAP treatment treats but does not (cannot) cure apnea. The "cure" is proper treatment to control apneas.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
apnea is not always snoring. stopping breathing can be nice and quiet.
CPAP is like crutches, they help the body do what it can to repair-they in themselves do not repair the body.
The body does not repair the cause of apneas. There is much talk about weight and apneas, and from my understanding being overweight does not cause apneas, the air way is collapsing, not being crushed. There are many, many overweight people that do not have sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? joeatmanila 31 6,120 06-20-2021, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Has anyone been cured of obstructive sleep apnea after tonsillectomy? Russatrice 24 6,460 01-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: joeyjernigan
  cured or confused? myapneas 7 1,565 10-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured? Checkerboard 12 2,745 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP cured my sleep apnea but had slight trouble breathing when awake. sharp56 1 1,413 07-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Lichen Planus cured by CPAP? twoextrahours 2 2,154 04-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question Cured?? TomKriek 10 2,977 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.