CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Impotence, Libido and Sleep Apnea
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

Quote:Jake Wrote:

Jan 14 2006, 01:07 PM Post #1

How common is impotence in people with sleep apnea?

Can anyone give me an example of their firsthand experience with impotence and sleep apnea?

For instance, every time I force myself to think about sex, I realize that I would rather take a nap. I never have morning erections, the erections I get during the day are very weak and easily deflated.

My other symptoms also include a seemingly constant mild tension headache (all day), and general fatigue. All of these troubles have been present for two years, blood tests, diagnostic X rays and such have shown nothing.

Is it worth it for me to get checked for sleep apnea?

Quote:henry wrote:

Jan 15 2006, 03:31 AM Post #2

Jake - there are many things that could cause the problems you listed and sleep apnea is one of them. But that doesn't mean that you have sleep apnea. I would talk to your doctor and perhaps he will recommend you to a good sleep doctor in your area, who may then recommend an overnight stay at a sleep center for testing. If you do have sleep apnea, it's certainly worth finding soon, so you can begin some sort of treatment.

Jan 16 2006, 12:43 PM Post #3

Alright, I had an appointment today. The doctor told me that apnea was a distinct possibility. He ordered a sleep study.

On a side note, he mentioned that even though I'm not obese and I don't smoke, my airways look swollen. Would the fact that I had a bit of a sore threat today mean that his look at my airways wasn't a good representation of what they normally would look like? I don't know the physiology of a sore throat.

Jan 16 2006, 07:01 PM Post #4

Quote:Jake
Jan 16 2006, 12:43 PM
Alright, I had an appointment today. The doctor told me that apnea was a distinct possibility. He ordered a sleep study.

On a side note, he mentioned that even though I'm not obese and I don't smoke, my airways look swollen. Would the fact that I had a bit of a sore threat today mean that his look at my airways wasn't a good representation of what they normally would look like? I don't know the physiology of a sore throat.

I don't know either. That would have been a good question to ask your doctor. Who knows, I suppose a sore throat could be causing swollen airways.

Has anyone ever observed you having sleep apnea episodes, such as stopping of breathing for a few seconds, and then a gasping for air?

Jan 16 2006, 08:02 PM Post #5

Nobody has every witnessed an apnea episode, nor do I snore. However, I am an extremely light sleeper. Also, I have noticed that for the year or so that I have been having this trouble with fatigue, dreams have been noticeably absent. Would the cessation of dreams be an indicator of sleep apnea?

Jan 17 2006, 02:24 PM Post #6

How prevalent is Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome? Will it be diagnosed by the sleep study?

Jan 17 2006, 05:28 PM Post #7

Jan 16 2006, 08:02 PM
Nobody has every witnessed an apnea episode, nor do I snore. However, I am an extremely light sleeper. Also, I have noticed that for the year or so that I have been having this trouble with fatigue, dreams have been noticeably absent. Would the cessation of dreams be an indicator of sleep apnea?

Yes it could very well be a symptom of sleep apnea. when you don't get enough stage 3 REM sleep (the dreaming stage), you never get enough deep sleep, and therefore don't dream much. Doesn't mean you have sleep apnea, but it's one more indication that suggests you have some type of a sleep issue.

Jan 17 2006, 05:30 PM Post #8

Jan 17 2006, 02:24 PM
How prevalent is Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome? Will it be diagnosed by the sleep study?

Good question, I have no idea - maybe someone else here can help with this?

Jan 17 2006, 05:33 PM Post #9

Thanks, Henry. You've been a great help so far. I'm looking forward to this sleep study to get to the bottom of this.

Quote:chris wrote:

Jan 18 2006, 11:16 AM Post #10

first do you take any meds that could cause this problem?
I have severe apnea and started having this problem too.
first I had the docs change my meds. Then I started taking mellatonin 1mg a day sometimes I will skip a day. Studies show that mellatonin will help you keep your libido
I also have severe RLS.
Do you have any problems with your legs or arms? Like stiffness or tightness or tingling and it helps when you move.
Impotence can also be a sign of heart problems.
just so you know, I will remember a dream maybe 1 time every 3 months. This does not mean much because you will only remember a dream if you wake up during it.
Another question would be do you wake up alot during the night.
I wake up over 10 times a night that I remember. A bad night would be over 30 times.
After changing meds and taking mellatonin my problem went away. I hope the same happens to you.
Just so you know at this time I have not found any real help with my apnea. CPAP has shown no real benefit. I do take requip for the RLS, helps some but does cure the problem all the time

Quote:Unregistered Guest Wrote:

Jan 19 2006, 12:16 PM Post #11

I don't take any meds, have no trouble with RLS or anything like that. The amount of times I wake up really varies. Usually no more than like 4 times.

I think my airways are causing some sort of minor obstruction. I don't even think it's apnea, because I don't snore. Thats why I think it might be Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome.

Jan 20 2006, 08:50 AM Post #12

Would any blood work be abnormal in a patient with a sleep-related breathing disorder?

Also, I've noticed that "morning headaches" is a symptom for some people. My headaches last all day. Also, my energy and libido get progressively worse as the day goes on. The morning is actually my best time. What are the thoughts on that?

Jan 20 2006, 01:29 PM Post #13

The only thing I have found would be cortisol
This is my opinion not the docs
I have been tested several times (24 hour urine test not blood, but cortisol can be tested through blood work)and each time I was over the norm alittle bet.
I have done other test to try to find out way with no explanation.
After all the tests the only problems they found where RLS, and apnea.

Jan 21 2006, 01:10 PM Post #14

Very interesting that you would say cortisol, because that is the only value that has come up slightly elevated on my blood work as well. I tried the fasted morning blood work, two 24 hour urine samples, and another random blood drawing, each time cortisol was slightly elevated.

Also, my blood oxygen saturation was only 94%, I had that tested twice. Also hemoglobin was slightly elevated. Thats all that has shown any abnormality.

Since blood work has shown to be normal, all I've gotten is doctors telling me that it's all in my head. I hate that sh**.

Feb 6 2006, 02:05 PM Post #15

I don't have the problem with the impotence - but the CPAP seems to help my libido - and my overall sense of well being.
I will say that the "hangover" type headache (when I haven't drank anything) is the only true symptom I had. I had that dull nagging headache all day - not too tired otherwise - not that I realized anyway, until I started the CPAP therapy.
My sleep study revealed a mild case of apnea - I've been on CPAP now for about 5 weeks.
I suspect your study may show apnea. The headache could be caused by something else - but apnea is a prime suspect.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2012 03:47 PM by Cutter.)
02-26-2012 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 521 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 738 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 210 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 13,993 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 584 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 803 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
Sad [Diagnosis] Negative for Sleep Apnea? jakthebomb 19 1,273 10-13-2016 03:28 PM
Last Post: jakthebomb