Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Centrals increasing; new to BiPap
RE: Centrals increasing; new to BiPap
I am posting an update, which is a lot of improvement, thanks to some great advice.  I met a couple weeks ago with the sleep doctor, and things have improved since then.  In fact, last night my AHI was .7, which is a big difference from what it was when I first posted here looking for advice to reduce the centrals.  I finally got to see my original sleep study, which included mixed apnea, central apnea, obstructive apnea, but mostly hypopneas.  

I had a heart attack in August, and it turns out that while sleep apnea can cause an heart attack, the reverse is also true, and as I've been losing weight and more time has elapsed since the heart attack, the apnea has improved, as well.  If I hadn't heeded your advice and turned down the pressure support, EPAP and IPAP, I would not have made that progress.  

Many thanks for the support!
Post Reply Post Reply
cdbeardie, great to hear how well you are doing. It really proves that complex apnea can be addressed with CPAP/BPAP. Where did you end up in settings?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now I'm at 12 for IPAP and 8 for EPAP with the pressure support at 1.  It was set at 6 for EPAP for a while, but every time the machine tried to go up to 12, the centrals flared like crazy, so I kept the two settings as close as I could, and that seemed to go better.  I read that it takes some people up to 3 months to get the centrals to calm down, and they've gradually done that.  

Right now, I'd like to reduce the IPAP to 11, because it goes past that so rarely.  Every time I'm thinking about it, I have a night where it jumps to 12 a couple of times, and then I reconsider.  

I have to say this whole thing has been a lesson in patience along with trial and error.  

The sleep doctor's tech assistant says that this kind of response is unusual, (improvement in the centrals and apneas in general),  but I think it's because I had a heart attack, and at least some of the centrals and hypopneas were due to my heart being damaged and gradually getting back to normal.  But, who knows?  For some of us, it's definitely more art than science  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 92 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 591 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,113 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 171 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 210 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 376 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 323 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.