Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here... And a very short poll...
RE: New here... And a very short poll...
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I was diagnosed with severe apnea and I've been on the machine for 6 weeks. Maybe once a week I'll wake up in the middle of the night convinced that it is time to get up so I'll take off the mask and then go back to sleep. The "new users" wiki page on this site says that it is normal for new users to take off the mask without really knowing.

As far as I can determine from googling around there is no average time to get adjusted. If you google "CPAP Adaptation Stages" then a wiki page on another site says that it takes most people at least 4 to 6 weeks for the mask to become tolerable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 09:08 AM)OpalRose Wrote: WOW! PollCat,
Just curious....how many machines have you used in that 20+ years? I imagine you've seen a ton of changes. Smile

I've actually lost count of the number of machines I've had; though somewhere on this forum (or it's predecessor) there is a posting with the exact number, name, and reason for a new machine. Basically, my first machine, a Respironics Tranquility Plus, still had dials on it and was the size of small loaf of bread, standing on end. My first data machine was the S9 that I'm currently using. In between these two cpaps I've had at least four other machines, including the AEIOMed that I still travel with.

While the machines have gotten smaller and quieter, the real surprise has been the proliferation of the new types/designs of masks!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to thank everyone here that replied to my inquiry! Your responses and coaching have assisted me in understanding this night-time assist I am going to terms with.

I have named my machine as well: I call it " sleep buddy". Not exactly the most creative name, I know, however it sure fits....
Post Reply Post Reply
Literally, Night One.

I went from a total of 3-4 hours of sleep with frequent interruptions to an uninterrupted 6 hours plus, the first night. 7 hours the next, and since then it has been 7-8 hours a night.

By the fourth day I turned the ramp from 10 minutes to ZERO. Nada, zippo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another vote here for night one.

3 weeks into my therapy and I'm feeling fairly confident. i got a good nights sleep on night one and am finding that the mask routine isn't nearly so intrusive as i had feared.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, like you I am really new to this and wondering how long it will take to get used to. I've had my CPAP for 4 nights. I have the nasal pillows and I am having difficulty when I first put them on as the pressure when I try to breath out seems wrong.

I am so hopeful and yet so tired, along with all the other issues of having sleep apnea for years. I know it is not an overnight cure and it is a therapy that will likely take time. Guess I'm just hoping to hear some success stories.

Hanging in there and
BeyondTired
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer the poll, getting used to the cpap machine took less than a week for me. It helped a little that I don't move much during sleep, so I typically wake up in the same position as I started, with my back aching. The mask also stayed in place, more or less.

However, as to getting the full benefits, that's still a long way ahead. Although my AHI has gone down below 3 after more than 2 weeks, I still feel it's not enough. That's because my average sleep duration is between 4 to 5 hours. Not really enough, so I still experience a few bouts of drowsiness during the work day (which could be normal for the type of work I do). But, I've cut down my coffee to 2 cups a day. And no more coffee at night before driving home. That's an improvement at least. I hope the day will come when I will re-experience that exhilarating moment on the day after my first titration. That was a blast. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I woke up thinking my mask was off and I really should put it back on, because I didn't feel it. It actually was on, so I guess that's great sign I'm getting accustomed to it being there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on day 11 now, and I've switched mask to a nasal pillow and it's so much more comfortable and as natural as I'm assuming it can be. Breathing is normaller now than before. I do less Darth Vader impressions than I was in the first week with a nasal mask. I'm still getting used to higher pressures sometimes, but it isn't too bad as it used to be.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 470 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Short Duration Cpap Usage Myeung 3 490 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Should I avoid CPAP for short time after tonsillectomy? Labromaniac 10 2,544 06-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  Short tubing for ResMed Air 10 - reduced rainout? morpheus1958 3 924 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan? cathyf 2 638 05-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.