Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In Lab vs At Home sleep study.
RE: In Lab vs At Home sleep study.
My sleep doctor gave me the choice of in-lab or at home study. For convenience sake I chose at home and did two nights with electrodes attached, etc. The results confirmed sleep apnea (on a scale of 1-10, my doc classified me as a 9.5) with 45+ events per hour. All this to say that the home test yielded enough data to warrant CPAP intervention. Been on CPAP since 2015.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I've heard, meaning I can't verify this, but stopping CPAP use 5 to 7 days in advance of the sleep study will eliminate any residual therapy benefit by the CPAP." - Crimson Nape

This is really interesting, and I wonder if it impacted my HST with the ResMed AirLink. The HST measured AHI of 9 (reportedly, I don't have the actual data) whereas my initial treatment with low pressure (4cm H2O) CPAP had an AHI as high as 18. 

I didn't stop CPAP use before my HST and I wonder if I would have gotten different results otherwise. Also interesting that there are "residual therapy benefits" from using CPAP even if you discontinue use for a bit. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The jury seems to be still out on the “does therapy linger”.
Some Docs want a clean slate (a respite from therapy) while others seem to say ‘it makes no difference’.
Obviously it would require a controlled experiment or clinical trial to assert one position or another. I just have not heard of any study that examined that.

All that being said, the Drs first obligation is to “First Do no harm”. If a patient might suffer some significant injury by pausing therapy in order to get a “clean read”, that would be a big problem. 
Generally Drs are risk adverse, so it is unsurprising what their pre-test instructions tend to be.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,637 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 207 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 286 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 414 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 256 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.