Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In Search of the Ephemeral AHI=0 ???
In Search of the Ephemeral AHI=0 ???
My subject line was a lie. I have not been in search of AHI=0 results. In fact, I have recently decided to quit messing around with things like alternative masks et cetera due to other health issues/treatments that I felt might just complicate everything. I expected that my AHI might well get somewhat higher on the average.

I now am awakened more often at night due to my new circumstances but suddenly I am seeing AHI=0 nights coming in groups every several weeks. I have no good explanation for this and I have gone back to the mask and everything else that has worked well for me over time and I am just sticking with it. Anything having to do with my sleep hygene has not been changed. The sole exception to no changes is that I finally got Apria to send me the hypoallergenic filters for my VPAP instead of their regular crap and I put one in the VPAP immediately.

In looking over my data since the start of zeros, I have noticed that my flow rate data looks generally smoother without as much variation as before, so apparently I am breathing more regularly than I was before.

I must reiterate. AHI=0 is not a goal that one should necessarily strive for nor is it one that i have. Sometimes it comes along and sometimes it doesn't. There are some people that see this AHI an a regular basis after getting their treatment optimized. I was not one of these however I was receiving very adequate treatment for at least 3 years.

I have gotten to the end of this missive and now wonder what my purpose was in writing it. I guess that it was to share some part of my experience and to let those who are not experiencing immediate improvement know that sometimes things just take time. After all, I have been on VPAP for 5 years

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In Search of the Ephemeral AHI=0 ???
If the only thing that changed was the filter, personally I would be very temped to put the old filter back and see if the situation reverted, then put the new filter in again and see if it solved the issue. That would be valuable information to me. Not everyone is as obsessed with understanding what is going on as I am Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaytonA,
Don’t blame you a bit for not wanting to chase and chase, over and over again, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Keep up the good work, enjoy 0s when you get them, but don’t worry if they disappear either. BTW, I hope you are recovering nicely from your surgery.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 02:00 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My subject line was a lie. I have not been in search of AHI=0 results. In fact, I have recently decided to quit messing around with things like alternative masks et cetera due to other health issues/treatments that I felt might just complicate everything. I expected that my AHI might well get somewhat higher on the average.

I now am awakened more often at night due to my new circumstances but suddenly I am seeing AHI=0 nights coming in groups every several weeks.
There are people who report that the S9's occasionally quit recording the AHI data correctly (and report AHI = 0.0 for several days in a row). The fix to the problem seems to be to reboot the S9 by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with you, I got to where the therapy is working great and I quit chasing the numbers. As you well know, I have the LL issue, so grateful for that being my worst issue. Usually my 95% is now under 24l/m so that will do.

Generally AHI is under 1.0 so I don't have that fight.

Feel free to vent (no pun intended)Dielaughing anytime!!!

Chuck

robysue, sleepyhead is awesome, your work is great. I record data in Resmed but don't use it. I always use sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 02:44 PM)robysue Wrote: [
There are people who report that the S9's occasionally quit recording the AHI data correctly (and report AHI = 0.0 for several days in a row). The fix to the problem seems to be to reboot the S9 by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.

That is very true and I see 2 things that lead me to believe that is not the case here. First is that I never get more than 2 zeros in a row, where the people that had the problem requiring reboot had continuous strings of 0s over a number of days until they rebooted. Second is that my machine gets rebooted reasonably frequently as a matter of course.

Your advice is good and should be heeded by others.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 02:19 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: If the only thing that changed was the filter, personally I would be very temped to put the old filter back and see if the situation reverted, then put the new filter in again and see if it solved the issue. That would be valuable information to me. Not everyone is as obsessed with understanding what is going on as I am Smile

I was quite certain that the filter was not the cause for 2 reasons. First, it just did not make sense to me (but then my brains have been a little slow lately). Second is that I have used the hypoallergenic filters before and gotten no AHI=0. The old filter was thrown away as fast a =s possible so it is out of reach anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure they gave you a hypoallergenic filter and not antibacterial? The AB filter needs to be selected in the settings menu otherwise it will give erroneous results.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it (now) it is pretty easy to tell the difference between the two. The hypoallergenic filter goes on the air intake, just like the regular one. The anti-bacterial filter fits somewhere between the machine and the mask, at either end of your tubing. Google found one for me at Supplier #26, which had good instructions for its use, and when to avoid it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarification Pholynik.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 273 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  continuing search for the best mask megabill 13 1,014 03-20-2023, 09:56 AM
Last Post: DaveCar
  In search of feed back of initial BiPAP results nrelaz 1 446 09-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  In search of Nasal Cushion! Joe Bezz 3 684 09-23-2021, 01:43 PM
Last Post: plakky
Question [Treatment] In search of general CPAP coaching dfunk 13 1,578 02-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: dfunk
  The Mask Search Continues... DoubtFire61 2 1,017 03-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Last Post: DarciWantsToSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.