Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
RE: In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
Oops, just noticed Target Va IS adjustable. Should I leave it where it is?? It can be changed up or down by increments of .1 at a time.

Thanks
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
My idea behind setting a lower Va is the for the same reason that ASV targets 90% of spontaneous. You don't need the ventilation capability iVAPS offers, you just need a machine capable of providing high PS at times during your periods of bad flow limitation (ASV probably would have worked for this but ST-A should definitely work). Your spontaneous volume looks like it has been ~6.25(you can confirm in OSCAR), using 90% of this as ASV would the support target would be 5.6. Our different stages of sleep require different levels of ventilation which is why I would look at your OSCAR data and see what your minute ventilation usually fluctuates between under spontaneous breathing. If Va is set lower than this then it should be only support your breathing when it is necessary. The higher you set Va the more ventilation work it is going to do for you which I don't think you want, you don't have COPD or anything else that should requires that kind of support.

If you do the learning mode you need to be careful and verify that the settings are appropriate. Another user did his recently and it came up with a Va over 10 and he had horrible sleep because the machine was over ventilating him.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geer1. (Sleeprider was able to split this thread for me.)

I believe your speaking of the Va Target Va setting I didn’t realize I could change it.  I read in Sleeprider post a few posts ago, the the Target Va is based on height.  Supposedly this is automatic, or so I was told.  But it is confusing because it can be changed.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Target Va is calculated using your height based on an average formula. Not everyone is average and some have higher or lower ventilation requirements which is why it is possible to adjust this value.

If you set Va above your spontaneous breathing level this machine will force you to breath more air as that is what this machine is meant to do (supplement poor spontaneous breathing).

Your overview tab in OSCAR can quickly show you what your median minute vent is for each day. For example mine fluctuates between 6 and 8 with most nights being around 7. When I look at my daily graphs on nights when my median minute vent was around 7 I can see periods where my breathing looks fine with minute vent of 6. If I was using iVAPS I would set my target Va at 6 because of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
The new thread for ST-A is here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-with-ST-A
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,588 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 538 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 234 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.