Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
RE: In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
I think it would be based on sleeprider taking a look at your closeups to see if he sees promise in the experiment.

If there's no value in turning off the easybreathe algorithm, then could switch back to vauto mode and use this info to adjust the settings further.

Otherwise, if it seems wise to stay on S mode, any changes would likely be based on the FL graph details, and also how you're feeling.

But let's hear his thoughts; I'm curious myself!
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slowriter,

I don't know what to think about how I feel.

Even when I have had better "numbers", I feel exhausted.  I see people who have posted low AHI, as low as 1, and they say how much better they feel.  I have also seen people post 1 AHI and they still don't feel better.  I wonder if I will ultimately be one of these later people?

Are there people who just are extra sensitive and no matter how good their numbers, will feel tired?  I guess until I get a night where I have "good" Flow Rate waves, I won't know?

sigh.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right. You're going to have to be patient.

For how you feel, I would include reducing your time awake. It took me months to (mostly) eliminate those. I consider that a key variable on how well things are doing.

Think of it this way: you're trying to find the machine settings that address your SBD, and then to give your body and brain time to adapt to that new world.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slowriter,

HOW did you reduce your time awake???

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not really sure exactly.

But in general, dialing in the settings, and giving it time.
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact the machine does not log Flow Limitation in S mode is why you have to look through the closeups to see if their severity and the machine response is improved. In addition the OA is now reported as UA and there is no FOT during apnea. One of your closeups showed that there was no flow limitation at 00:40:00. The chart closeup at 04:41:30 was not so good. The big difference is you now have a more durable pressure support that is the same size on every breath and pressure never changes. Whether this is a more comfortable mode for you or not is up to you. The results may be a bit better but not that significant, so the advise is do what feels best. When I look at hypopnea events in the close-up they seem less severe in S mode.

The bad news is I am running out of ideas for a conventional bilevel approach to your problems. It will be interesting to hear ideas from others on where this should go.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning Sleeprider.

I am digesting your reply.

Here is what I am thinking and wondering:

1) If some measurements appear better, why can’t I find even one area of good or at least decent wave forms for my Flow?  Is there a good probability that no matter what I do with this machine I will not have any decent period of time with decent or good breath waves?

2) What is FOT?

3)  I don’t have machine available at the moment, so I can’t double check for this adjustment, but should I increase the PS tonight and see what happens? 

4) Should I leave everything set as it is and try the cervical collar once more?

If you are running out of ideas, that’s understandable, we have tried a lot.  Look forward to your thoughts and thoughts from anyone else that would like to chime in.

Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, because the machine no longer tells you where to look for flow limitations, you need to do what you did and zoom in to a 2 minute window then scroll through time looking for a "good" area where there are no events and things look as rounded as possible.... and then to another "bad" area where things look totally unrounded.

So great job on the zoooming!  

I've spent my whole career looking at wiggle plots in a totally different discipline (seismic data analysis).  Without any consideration of how you feel, it's still shockingly clear that your waveforms are nothing like a "perfect rounded inhalation" and (intuitively) I would want mine to be much better.

If I was in your shoes I'd be following two paths..

1) Why is it that sometimes my waveforms seem reasonably good and other times they are very poor?  That can only be answered by grabbing that old camcorder from the basement or borrowing one from a friend and recording yourself during the night to try to see if there is anything obvious showing up during the "good" times and the "bad" times.

2) I would also be asking my sleep doctor if they have any loaner ASV machines that they can lend me for a week to experiment to see if the bad waveforms can be improved using the ASV technology.  In my case, they were happy to lend me one and that rapidly turned into a prescription for one.  You might be able to get a loaner machine within a day or two if you are lucky.

EDIT: FOT Forced Oscillation Technique. Where they send a ripple of pressures during an apnea to try to see if it is OA or CA. (See Autoset Clinical Manual for details).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2020, 09:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The bad news is I am running out of ideas for a conventional bilevel approach to your problems.  It will be interesting to hear ideas from others on where this should go.

Do you see any evidence that easybreathe turned off helped or hurt?

If it hurt or did not help, my impulse would be to go back to vauto mode (which has easybreathe on by default), and use the cervical collar, with settings that mimic last night, but maybe even higher PS; like min EPAP of 12, PS 6.4, max IPAP of 19 or 20.

That should tell us whether there's promise in bilevel, or whether she needs to explore ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
You guys are so great!

I’m taking in all your advice.

As it happens I have been given a 2pm appointment today at the DME for my mask problems.

Is it ok to show them the information contained herein to assess the lending of the ASV, or would that be a no no because none of what we are doing is from the dr?

BTW, I just spoke to ENT office to find out what her official classification for my tongue is and it’s definitely Class 3.  I also have “naturally narrow nasal passages”.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 969 5 hours ago
Last Post: dormivi
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,276 Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 94 Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 127 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,462 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 363,083 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 822 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.