Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
RE: In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
AQ is just advising you consider the out of pocket costs to get to ASV. If you have reasonable deductibles and copay, then you should certainly carry-on with "Plan A". I did not read his post as recommending the Vauto over ASV if it is affordable.

Smoking, is right up there with sleep-eating, sleep-walking and other parasomnia. It is unrelated to PAP therapy, and you are aware of the potential hazards and importance of dealing with this. I recommend you install a smoke detector above the bed in your room.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes sleeprider got my intention right.  You have some choices and some are more expensive than others.
If we spend the next week productively, you'll be better informed about the consequences of those choices.

BTW, A couple of times I've talked about drug-withdrawal and drug effects possibly/probably affecting sleep quality.

One of the immediate physiological effects of inhaling nicotine (especially important in the middle of the night) is apparently as follows...

"Nicotine acts as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline)."

I got that simply by googling "nicotine stimulation"

So if I were to ask you if that's likely to help with your sleep.. what would you say?
It's certainly food for thought as you continue to try to improve your sleep hygiene.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m glad the doc won’t prescribe you Chantix. A lot of people I know who’ve had it have had very bad experiences with it. Wanting to drive their cars off a cliff or bridge, among other suicidal thoughts. Stick with the patch. The generic works just fine, I’ve used them successfully about 8 years ago to stop smoking. You just have to want to quit. If you don’t you won’t.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you said that.  I've been banging on about the wisdom (or lack thereof) of "a pill for every ill" and don't want to go too far in that direction.

Just a 5 second google search gives this...

The FDA requires a black-box warning for Chantix because the drug increases the risk of serious mental health problems, such as suicidal thoughts.

EDIT: And of course... one of the side-effects is also sleep disruption.  No surprises there.
Sleepiness, trouble sleeping, and other sleep disorders.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s bad stuff. It was around back when I quit and refused to take it. I’d would’ve rather smoked. Friends wanting to throw themselves off bridges or drive into a tree or telephone pole just because they seriously thought of it from out of nowhere.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Not feeling too bad here at work today.  Glad I get off at 7:00PM instead of 11:00PM though.

Thank you for the additional comments and clarifications.

1)  I will leave the PS and other settings alone until it is suggested by sleeprider that I should do so;

2)  Smoke detector(s), been wanting to update system anyway.  (In my quest to give smoking up I would like to get BACK to not smoking anywhere IN my house).  (Side note, I of course know all about the negatives of smoking.  Being a cigarette ADDICT I share a similar craving for nicotine like drug addicts crave their drugs of choice....BECAUSE NICOTINE IS A DRUG. (Obviously just the craving for the nicotine ya'll, nothing else).  No Chantix for me!!  Talking to shrink about this problem.

3)  I am a very light pot user, so I hope people are not thinking I'm a character in Pineapple Express.

3)  Will try to soak up some CBT thoughts before the psych.  Definitely plan on asking about hypnosis.  (My boss mentioned today something about some sort of needle(?) in the ear?  She said two people she knows have tried it and it worked for them).

4)  Gotta get off my butt and TRY to start exercising.  Ridiculous is the fact that I do have FREE YMCA membership through my health insurance.  I went for a walk around the subdivision last week with one of my dogs and it was enjoyable.  (I have lost over 40 pounds twice in my life through Weight Watchers.  I am even a lifetime member.  The plan has changed quite a bit so I should look into it).  Husband is a chef, so I need to get him to start creating some healthy food AS YUMMY as many non-healthy foods.

5)  Going to bed relatively early last night was great.  I want to try to do so more frequently.  Also, must figure out a way to not have the pets sleep with us in a way they won't destroy the house trying to get in the bedroom.

6)  Find the headphones I know we have some where (husband is also a musician), and set it up so he can watch TV with them on.

I'm sure there is plenty more I can do, but this is enough to think about for now....at least for the next few hours.

And finally, as in my original question this morning, what about the being able to determine an event that is not caused by an outside influence? Get particularly adept at matching the video time stamp to the OSCAR charts?

MOST MOST SINCERELY,
PLMNB
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just posting to say hi I have no advice at this point in time but I have been avidly following your posts it’s really interesting and not your usual run of the mill OSA
Post Reply Post Reply
jaswilliams, 

That was very very kind of you to say.  I am hoping I am not boring too many people with my ramblings.  I just figure that out of the 80,000 people who are members of this board, and others who are guests, my situation may be at least similar to their own and perhaps something I say will help them.

My best to you,
Plmnb
Phoebe
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
lots-o-coffee Sigh, morning everyone.

Another confounding night.  I guess trying to figure out the following isn't really important because of the upcoming ASV titration, but I wasn't sure if it would help, so here it is:

I tried to clean up my sleep hygiene a bit yesterday and last night.  I did NOT smoke any ganja.  I purchased Melatonin 10mg and took before bed as directed.  I tried to limit the length of time I had the machine off.  I started to try to go to sleep before 1AM, not as early as previous night but still pretty early for me.  I tried sleeping on my side for a good portion of the night.  I was unable to find any of my "yoga" or sleep smoking in any of the video clips.  I don't believe I detected any more movement than I usually have.  Actually it appears as if there was less movement than usual.  I did NOT change any settings from the previous settings, I have been continuing with PS 6.80.  My AHI was 4.84, higher than yesterday. LARGE LEAKS were consistent with when I normally have them as far as how many and length of time. There were FLOW LIMIT readings during no leaks AND during leaks.

Yet, with all this, my CA event count was the highest it has been since the night of the 10th. (The 10th was 23 events PS was at 7.  Last night my CA events were 15, although PS was 6.80.  The highest CA count I have had since the 10th was 9, with the majority at 1 or 2).

Huhsign   I'd sort of like to figure out a way to get a decent night sleep even if it is only a little bit until the ASV titration, and I might not even get approved, so it couldn't hurt to analyze this situation could it?

FOR POSSIBLE COMPARISON PURPOSES I AM POSTING THE OVERVIEW FROM THE 10th IN ADDITION TO LAST NIGHT'S OVERVIEW:

[attachment=19349] .   1/10/20    [attachment=19350] .  1/23/20

Also, so sorry to be a pain, but unless I am being extraordinarily obtuse, I'd still like to know if someone might be able to explain about REAL events vs. not clinically significant events.

Regards as always,
Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
I've read some of your posts and my hat is off to you.
We're all a team.
What caused the leakage that shows on your screenshot? Do you use a hose support to hold your hose ?

My hose reel really helps me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,577 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 532 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 231 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.