Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In need of some BiPAP settings help please
In need of some BiPAP settings help please
Going into my fourth year of CPAP/Bi-PAP journey and still don't feel fully treated.  I am a faithful machine user because I am way more tired without it but I am still chasing the "waking up refreshed" feeling.  The SleepyHead Wiki suggested that I screenshot the following so I am hoping this will get the ball rolling.

Here is my most recently downloaded night:
[Image: jan%205.png]

and here is the worst night in the last month:
[Image: dec%2015.png]

Sleep therapist said I actually could go up to 18, if it weren't for the darned burping that I get at anything above 15.

I am using an AirTouch mask and a chinstrap.

Thank you for any insights Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In need of some BiPAP settings help please
elocin71,
Unless you wish to pay the $200 per year for a public photobucket account, I'd strongly suggest that you consider using imgur to host your images. . . it's free.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the bad night could be fixed with a soft cervical. Your tucking your chin in during sleep and that cuts off your airway. Better than a chin strap it also takes care of mouth leaks.

You also have a lot of flow limitations driving the pressure high. I think with a collar you could cap the IPAP at a lower pressure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree a cervical collar looks like a winner. You don't have any central apnea going on, and with the narrow range of EPAP min and IPAP max, and a range of pressure support from 2-4, you get very inconsistent treatment. I think I'd close the range of PS fto 3-4 or just set it to 4.0, and open up IPAP max to 18. That will allow EPAP pressure to rise to treat the OA as needed, and should keep the hypopnea at bay and improve flow limitation. On your best night, the EPAP stayed at 11 cm and your IPSP moved between 13 and 15 cm. On your worst night, the EPAP fluctuated from 11 to 13. We could look for a pattern with more data, but it appears you do better when pressure support is maintained, and EPAP stays more stable.

At the end of your other thread you mentioned that you previously used CPAP at a pressure of 7. If that was able to treat most of your OA events, then reducing EPAP minimum pressure may be okay. The thing is, we don't know whether a lower pressure would increase your obstructive events. It appears that pressure support is important to better results for you, so I'll focus on that while keeping your current EPAP min pressure the same for now.

EPAP min 11, IPAP max 17 or 18 and PS min 4 ps max 4 would accomplish a stable pressure support and allow EPAP to move from 11 to 13 or 14. That is a pretty wide variation in results, and there may be something going on that a close-up of your flow rate chart could clarify because your exhale time is quite a bit shorter than inhale, and that's not normal for most of us.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see any chart. You may be able to work around the gas, there is some stuff you can do. also it may just settle down. get some imgur images up.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2018, 10:41 AM)ajack Wrote: I can't see any chart. You may be able to work around the gas, there is some stuff you can do. also it may just settle down. get some imgur images up.

Photobucket started blocking embedded images by users that did not pay the ransom of $400/year. This blocking can be fixed by downloading extensions on Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
In the Google Chrome webstore see the Photobucket Hotlink Fix.
For Firefox, get the Photobucket Hotlink Fix extension.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 127 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 485 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,152 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [CPAP] Help with bipap settings airwaystent 25 1,553 01-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  bipap Innisfree 2 415 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.