Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In terms of benefit - which is better?
In terms of benefit - which is better?
As a new arrival I naturally have questions. Sleep was never something I gave much thought to, well the mechanics of it at least. I just read a very interesting article posted by Zonk ...
apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Training-Yourself-to-stop-Mouth-Breathing?page=2
.... now all I seem to do is think about sleep.

Are there any physiological benefits of nasal masks over FFMasks? As a new arrival to CPAP I'm now very much aware that I'm a mouth breather but working hard to retrain my breathing habits.

I'm more comfortable with a FF mask and my AHI's now sit just above 1 however I do notice more early morning events occurring with the FFM compared to my nasal mask for the same or similar AHI reading.

In terms of out and out benefit is one better than the other health wise?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In terms of benefit - which is better?
(05-19-2013, 06:23 PM)SleepinginAdelaide Wrote: In terms of out and out benefit is one better than the other health wise?

I don't think there's an answer to that question. I think it boils down to what works best for you.

OMyMyOHellYes

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2013, 06:23 PM)SleepinginAdelaide Wrote: As a new arrival I naturally have questions. Sleep was never something I gave much thought to, well the mechanics of it at least. I just read a very interesting article posted by Zonk ...
apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Training-Yourself-to-stop-Mouth-Breathing?page=2
.... now all I seem to do is think about sleep.

Are there any physiological benefits of nasal masks over FFMasks? As a new arrival to CPAP I'm now very much aware that I'm a mouth breather but working hard to retrain my breathing habits.

I'm more comfortable with a FF mask and my AHI's now sit just above 1 however I do notice more early morning events occurring with the FFM compared to my nasal mask for the same or similar AHI reading.

In terms of out and out benefit is one better than the other health wise?
Hi SleepinginAdelaide,
If you are more comfortable with an FFM, that's great. I have never tried one of them because I'm a bit clostraphobic. FFMs can be quite proned to leaks but if you have mastered that, cool.
I don't know that one is better over the other, what matters though, is what works for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OMyMyOHellYes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Use whatever you are most comfortable with. Hopefully it is the same one that has the lowest AHI and leaks but even if not, there's things you can do to work around it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Meant to add"

In terms of benefits, they all do the same thing: they deliver air from the machine, into your throat.

In terms of aesthetics and comfort, it depends on the person and their facial structure. Some people prefer the nasal masks as it just floats there. Others prefer the non-leaking nasal pillows. Insert and forget. Others prefer the options of the full face mask.

There's several people here who have more than one type of mask and they switch between them. Like, during allergy season with the nasal issues, a full face mask would work better for some folks. During the heat of the summer, a nasal mask or pillows would be cooler.

Etc etc etc
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepinginAdelaide
I have worn a full face mask for over 6 years and like it. I am a mouth breather, I tried the chin strap but it changed temperature with every breath and keep me up all night. It was a nuisance so I just accept the fact that I have a very dry mouth in the morning. Even with the humidifier set to the highest setting.
Like everyone else, I think it depends on the individual. That is the reason it is so important to get a qualified professional to help you select the mask you will be living with for, probably, the rest of your life.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
The best type of mask is the one you are most comfortable with that gets the job done.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The most important thing is to get one that works and that you can live with.

A FFM may make your apnea worse by pushing your jaw back. It's like a reverse dental device. Whether it works that way for you and how bad the effect is will vary from patient to patient.

Breathing through the nose works better than breathing through the mouth for several reasons.

I say a FFM should always be a last resort, but for some people, the problems with a nasal mask are worse than a FFM.

A FFM that works for you is better than a nasal mask that doesn't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike oral mask (F&P Oracle), Full face mask cover the nose and mouth and allows you to breathe thru your nose or mouth
How many full face mask users can say that they,re exclusively breathing thru their mouth all night long?

Dry mouth is symptom of mouth breathing regardless whether you,re using nasal or full face mask
Dry mouth associated with tooth/gum decay

Dental Health and Dry Mouth
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/d...-dry-mouth

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Could I benefit from going to BiPap VAuto? vinhuard 29 1,684 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: vinhuard
  CPAP Terms/Data Help edyurgal 0 428 04-11-2023, 12:42 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure? SteveIsTired22 7 896 10-10-2022, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Diagnosis] Would I benefit from an ASV? Sleepy Willy 21 2,302 05-15-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  CPAP may not benefit people older than 80 with sleep apnea DH07002 8 1,061 05-02-2022, 01:21 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  [CPAP] I don't feel any benefit from use of CPAP gordonharper 17 1,745 12-06-2021, 05:56 PM
Last Post: gordonharper
  [CPAP] Oscar Terms Avery 3 824 12-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Avery

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.