Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In the UK, not sure how much to say...
In the UK, not sure how much to say...
..... to my sleep clinic.

I live in the UK and was diagnosed in July 2019, since then if my AHI was below 5 then they weren't interested in talking about anything else. In April my AHI started to go out of control and I asked for help. I have only had 1 further consultation since diagnosis so not much bother to them. They have literally not given one ounce of help, no suggestions for improvement. The only thing they did was to swap my CPAP to APAP in the hope that the higher pressure would resolve things, it didn't.

I am so happy to have found this board and OSCAR like Thanks

I have always been told not to adjust my machine myself, but I decided 'sod it' it's my body, my therapy, I need to improve things for me. All of your suggestions have worked but, how much do I tell the clinic about what you do and about OSCAR. I want to shout your praises from the rooftops and tell everyone here to join but I don't want to jepardise what you do. 

I am a member of a FB page here for sleep apnoea and I despair at some of the things I read even to the point that someone was told to find an APP to diagnose his sleep apnoea Huhsign

So what do I tell them?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In the UK, not sure how much to say...
Tell them of your success here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 01:09 PM)Gideon Wrote: Tell them of your success here.

thank you. I want to have a good old rant at them for their lack of knowledge. They are doing so many patients a total injustice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good on your for taking control of your therapy.  I realized that my DME was a complete idiot and my sleep doctor only prescribed the baseline pressures for my apap.  Once I was able to look at my own data I was able to adjust my machine according to what I needed. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 01:00 PM)Boxermum Wrote: ..... to my sleep clinic.

I live in the UK and was diagnosed in July 2019, since then if my AHI was below 5 then they weren't interested in talking about anything else. In April my AHI started to go out of control and I asked for help. I have only had 1 further consultation since diagnosis so not much bother to them. They have literally not given one ounce of help, no suggestions for improvement. The only thing they did was to swap my CPAP to APAP in the hope that the higher pressure would resolve things, it didn't.

I am so happy to have found this board and OSCAR
Sounds like my other Post...
My dad used to have a saying..  The person who cares about you is YOU...  
The thing with Healthcare is for the most part its Reactive Care.  Its not Proactive Care.  Like the Police (bobbies?) they dont come to your house and say you need to leave in 10 mins you will be robbed.  They come later and help you file a report and take notes about what happen.  
Like you said its your body and your life.  You take care of YOU... 

I-love-Apnea-Board
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 01:22 PM)Boxermum Wrote: They are doing so many patients a total injustice.

We will be here.  Send all your friends we will help them too..  We want them all to Sleep-well
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all. I am trying to send people to you. The UK needs you ???
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 04:17 PM)Boxermum Wrote: Thank you all. I am trying to send people to you.

One method would be to print out a few copies of the forum pamphlet (flyer) and hand them out to people along with a few short words, telling them of the forum here.

You can get a color or grayscale copy of the flyer here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dout-Flyer
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My dme sold me new resmed autosense at a huge discount. I also get masks at an 80% discount. HOwever the autosense came without a card. I emailed my dme and basically told him that I needed a card so that I could use Oscar and make adjustments. He had no problems with that and sent a card in the mail. If you can make a dme understand that YOU understand what's going on and what your doing, they should have no issues with you managing your own care. After all, they can see what's going on as well.

so I suppose it depends on the particular dme.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 04:40 PM)hegel Wrote: My dme sold me new resmed autosense at a huge discount. I also get masks at an 80% discount. HOwever the autosense came without a card. I emailed my dme and basically told him that I needed a card so that I could use Oscar and make adjustments. He had no problems with that and sent a card in the mail. If you can make a dme understand that YOU understand what's going on and what your doing, they should have no issues with you managing your own care. After all, they can see what's going on as well.

so I suppose it depends on the particular dme.

The UK just don't seem to like you to be proactive in your care. They tell you not to adjust your machine  or change anything without their knowledge but then they are not interested if your AHI is less than 5.  There are so many people saying they they are not being helped by their clinic. I am on a mission ?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.