Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In the US...How long should it take???
RE: In the US...How long should it take???
SpeedyD, what insurance do you have? What is the policy for out of network DME? My last policy (BCBS) had a 40% copay for out of network vs 20% in network. I think using one of the online suppliers penciled out, considering I got my equipment immediately with no hassle or huge markups. You might want to have a talk with your insurer, and make sure you know their DME policy for in-network, out of network and what their policy is on rental vs purchase. If you get 100% coverage, then it might be worth this hassle, but otherwise, I'd be looking at alternatives.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
DMEs are a crap shoot. After my sleep study I saw my doc (just my internist not a sleep doc) and got a copy of my study and a scrip (I told him I wanted APAP ,and mask of choice, he said no problem). I awent around to a couple of local DME supliers and saw that they were at best incompetent and uninterested. I did my research on this board and ordered the equipment I wanted from one of the suppliers listed at the top of the forum. All came promptly and I was off to the races.

ONE MONTH later the sleep center called and said they were ready to see me. Even though my study showed an AHI of 70, it was apparently not much of an urgent situation.

Bottom line, take charge of your own treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 11:36 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote: DMEs are a crap shoot. After my sleep study I saw my doc (just my internist not a sleep doc) and got a copy of my study and a scrip (I told him I wanted APAP ,and mask of choice, he said no problem). I awent around to a couple of local DME supliers and saw that they were at best incompetent and uninterested. I did my research on this board and ordered the equipment I wanted from one of the suppliers listed at the top of the forum. All came promptly and I was off to the races.

ONE MONTH later the sleep center called and said they were ready to see me. Even though my study showed an AHI of 70, it was apparently not much of an urgent situation.

Bottom line, take charge of your own treatment.

Uninterested, unmotivated, all this describes DME. They have no idea what we are dealing with.
My AHI is 94. No hurries.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 10:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: SpeedyD, what insurance do you have? What is the policy for out of network DME? My last policy (BCBS) had a 40% copay for out of network vs 20% in network. I think using one of the online suppliers penciled out, considering I got my equipment immediately with no hassle or huge markups. You might want to have a talk with your insurer, and make sure you know their DME policy for in-network, out of network and what their policy is on rental vs purchase. If you get 100% coverage, then it might be worth this hassle, but otherwise, I'd be looking at alternatives.
I am med mutual. I have called insurance many times. They just said it is 85-15%. Nothing about in or out of network.. Sigh. I'm taking a nap now so I can properly finish cooking Thanksgiving dinner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Enjoy the nap. When business hours are back in session, ask the insurer how they would reimburse out of network DME and how to file a claim. I suspect it's a 30% share for you, in which case, you'd save a lot just doing it. You have a prescription, right? If you can afford to wait for insurance reimbursement, it's really the best. Seriously, online DMEs charge less than $900 for a top of the line APAP complete with heated hose and all the rest. Lincare will charge you $1800 for any CPAP, try to give you a cheaper one, and will charge you separately for the humidifier and heated hose. Your copay will be higher.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 01:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Enjoy the nap. When business hours are back in session, ask the insurer how they would reimburse out of network DME and how to file a claim. I suspect it's a 30% share for you, in which case, you'd save a lot just doing it. You have a prescription, right? If you can afford to wait for insurance reimbursement, it's really the best. Seriously, online DMEs charge less than $900 for a top of the line APAP complete with heated hose and all the rest. Lincare will charge you $1800 for any CPAP, try to give you a cheaper one, and will charge you separately for the humidifier and heated hose. Your copay will be higher.

I fought so hard to get the right machine ordered and I'm still gonna get hosed!!! Arghh!
This is causing me anxiety. I will be making a personal visit tonlincare office tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 421 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 248 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 654 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 7,093 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.