Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: In the US...How long should it take???
SpeedyD, what insurance do you have? What is the policy for out of network DME? My last policy (BCBS) had a 40% copay for out of network vs 20% in network. I think using one of the online suppliers penciled out, considering I got my equipment immediately with no hassle or huge markups. You might want to have a talk with your insurer, and make sure you know their DME policy for in-network, out of network and what their policy is on rental vs purchase. If you get 100% coverage, then it might be worth this hassle, but otherwise, I'd be looking at alternatives.

11-26-2015 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Snowbird47 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: AirSenseâ„¢ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAirâ„¢ Heated Humidifier
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated, climateline hose
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 14.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

DMEs are a crap shoot. After my sleep study I saw my doc (just my internist not a sleep doc) and got a copy of my study and a scrip (I told him I wanted APAP ,and mask of choice, he said no problem). I awent around to a couple of local DME supliers and saw that they were at best incompetent and uninterested. I did my research on this board and ordered the equipment I wanted from one of the suppliers listed at the top of the forum. All came promptly and I was off to the races.

ONE MONTH later the sleep center called and said they were ready to see me. Even though my study showed an AHI of 70, it was apparently not much of an urgent situation.

Bottom line, take charge of your own treatment.
11-26-2015 11:36 AM
SpeedyD Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset FH
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara view
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: 5-18

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(11-26-2015 11:36 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote:  DMEs are a crap shoot. After my sleep study I saw my doc (just my internist not a sleep doc) and got a copy of my study and a scrip (I told him I wanted APAP ,and mask of choice, he said no problem). I awent around to a couple of local DME supliers and saw that they were at best incompetent and uninterested. I did my research on this board and ordered the equipment I wanted from one of the suppliers listed at the top of the forum. All came promptly and I was off to the races.

ONE MONTH later the sleep center called and said they were ready to see me. Even though my study showed an AHI of 70, it was apparently not much of an urgent situation.

Bottom line, take charge of your own treatment.

Uninterested, unmotivated, all this describes DME. They have no idea what we are dealing with.
My AHI is 94. No hurries.
11-26-2015 12:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SpeedyD Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(11-26-2015 10:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  SpeedyD, what insurance do you have? What is the policy for out of network DME? My last policy (BCBS) had a 40% copay for out of network vs 20% in network. I think using one of the online suppliers penciled out, considering I got my equipment immediately with no hassle or huge markups. You might want to have a talk with your insurer, and make sure you know their DME policy for in-network, out of network and what their policy is on rental vs purchase. If you get 100% coverage, then it might be worth this hassle, but otherwise, I'd be looking at alternatives.
I am med mutual. I have called insurance many times. They just said it is 85-15%. Nothing about in or out of network.. Sigh. I'm taking a nap now so I can properly finish cooking Thanksgiving dinner.
11-26-2015 12:17 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Enjoy the nap. When business hours are back in session, ask the insurer how they would reimburse out of network DME and how to file a claim. I suspect it's a 30% share for you, in which case, you'd save a lot just doing it. You have a prescription, right? If you can afford to wait for insurance reimbursement, it's really the best. Seriously, online DMEs charge less than $900 for a top of the line APAP complete with heated hose and all the rest. Lincare will charge you $1800 for any CPAP, try to give you a cheaper one, and will charge you separately for the humidifier and heated hose. Your copay will be higher.

11-26-2015 01:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SpeedyD Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(11-26-2015 01:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Enjoy the nap. When business hours are back in session, ask the insurer how they would reimburse out of network DME and how to file a claim. I suspect it's a 30% share for you, in which case, you'd save a lot just doing it. You have a prescription, right? If you can afford to wait for insurance reimbursement, it's really the best. Seriously, online DMEs charge less than $900 for a top of the line APAP complete with heated hose and all the rest. Lincare will charge you $1800 for any CPAP, try to give you a cheaper one, and will charge you separately for the humidifier and heated hose. Your copay will be higher.

I fought so hard to get the right machine ordered and I'm still gonna get hosed!!! Arghh!
This is causing me anxiety. I will be making a personal visit tonlincare office tomorrow!
11-26-2015 02:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 183 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 474 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Two Long Weeks EnigmaGrey 20 930 10-12-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: EnigmaGrey
  How long until changes in blood tests or medications? NorthernGuy 11 773 09-04-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  How long to show improvement amykathleen2005 6 408 09-04-2016 08:08 AM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long? Rcgop 33 1,448 08-03-2016 09:26 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [News] Traveling with CPAP - advice from a long-haul truck driver ApneaNews 1 462 08-02-2016 05:16 PM
Last Post: green wings