Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

In you opinion, what is the best portable CPAP.
In you opinion, what is the best portable CPAP.
As a new member, I can't post on the equipment section of this forum, and after looking there, I do not see the answer to this Q... So here goes...

What is a really good portable CPAP for travel? I don't need to bleed in O2. I am looking for something that is I easily packable for travel and does not have "troubles" with overseas voltages out of the wall.

any ideas? Thanks in advance...Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In you opinion, what is the best portable CPAP.
Not a BiPap user, but I can offer my opinion (yeah, I have one of those too...) and you asked about CPAP, not BiPAP.

From the travel perspective, I believe that the points raised would still apply to a BiPAP, but for the S-8 I am going to discuss, it may not be available as BiPAP in factory-sealed box - but should be available gently used. Just noted your pressure of 9 cm - do you need a BiPAP for travel or can you use a CPAP/APAP with EPR set to 3? That would almost get your exhale to the minimum pressure anyway. But as a respiratory therapist, I am probably wasting your time on those points. On to discussion of the units.

Just bought a brand new S8 Autoset II for such a purpose. (supplier 2 - new in box, full factory warranty - really great price - I think they bought all the unsold inventory from all the other dealers or what other dealers returned to Resmed unsold).

Small size for a full featured auto CPAP (larger than the Z-1 that I am going to put up on CL sometime at a steep discount very very soon - if I ever get around to it). It is one of the smallest full featured units out there. Unless you want to run a humidifier with it. I don't. I just run the blower on the road. You will run into that with any unit though. (Note that the micro small travel units like the Z-1 and Transcend do not have a true humidification option).

And while the micro units are smaller, I have more confidence in the S-8. They are just tough as tanks (mors solidly built, IMHO, than the S9 or the PRS1 and Z-1 units) which is good for travel. Another great feature set for the unit: it does not require an external power brick like the S9, the s10, the PRS1 or the Z-1. It will aslo run on 110-240 V without any other converter. Just need the plug adapter for whatever country format you will encounter. Also runs on straight 12 v DC power - but you have to be careful if you build your own cord. IIRC the Resmed folks, for no reason other than to try and force folks to buy their proprietary cable (IMHO), wired the 12 v socket center ground, outer barrel hot. If somebody has one of the S8 factory 12 v cables, maybe they could get their meter out and confirm that. As far as the S-8 goes, in the BiPAP configuration, I think someone has mentioned here before that they run on 24 V DC, not the 12 V that the CPAP/APAP machines run on. I disclaim any insight regarding the 24 V s-8 units.

The Devillbiss Intellipap units are very similar feature wise, but they are still in production. They are about an inch longer, and hve the more standard center hot, outer ground configuration on their 12 V socket.

I wish, in addition to the clinician manual, we could get wiring diagrams for all of our units to make available to folks.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
never used my transcend unit overseas, thank god i dont travel there. But i do travel weekly for biz and this unit has been perfect. I pack it in my luggage, check the bag and have had zero issues. I take approx 100 flights per year

Post Reply Post Reply
I have just purchased a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset to replace my old S8. I will use the S8 for travel as it is smaller without the humidifier and does not need the additional power unit and wires.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 06:58 AM)Riven Wrote: I have just purchased a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset to replace my old S8. I will use the S8 for travel as it is smaller without the humidifier and does not need the additional power unit and wires.

I have no problem at all traveling with my A10. I put the unit + humidifier tank in a gallon zip lock bag and toss it in my roll-aboard. The only change I've made from pre-CPAP travel is I ditched my shaving kit and just put everything I need in the side pockets of the roll-aboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 07:09 AM)Whitjr Wrote: As a new member, I can't post on the equipment section of this forum, and after looking there, I do not see the answer to this Q... So here goes...

What is a really good portable CPAP for travel? I don't need to bleed in O2. I am looking for something that is I easily packable for travel and does not have "troubles" with overseas voltages out of the wall.

any ideas? Thanks in advance...Oh-jeez

I use my ResMed AirSense A10 Autoset. It's quite light and comes with a great travel bag (the revised version), so it's easy to travel with.

I always take it on board with me when I fly and would never put it in the hold because of the risk of lost luggage.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 353 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 1,012 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 597 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige
  Can someone give an opinion on these results ? Gregsleep 11 857 09-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,068 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  CPAP & INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE - CONSENSUS OF OPINION MCS2014 5 1,166 07-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: EddyDee
  Which cable for portable power supply? AndyJay2023 1 678 07-21-2023, 03:34 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.