Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Increased Muscle Acidity (Lactatic Acid) and Sleep Apnea
Have any of you suffered from extreme muscle acidity - ie. lactic acid/lactate build-up - due to Sleep Apnea? If so, please let us know what those specific symptoms were like before and after treatment!
If you have more time, it would also be useful to know what your pre-treatment stats were (hourly apneas and oxygen saturation levels), to see if those are predictive of symptoms and recovery.

I just found an article, which suggests that OSA patients DO have increased lactate production when exercising. I'm just wondering what that looks like in practice. And also if it improves upon treatment (that's the theory in the article, but they didn't actually test it)!

I have an extreme reaction to exercise. One flight of stairs causes my thigh muscles to cramp up horribly with lactic acid. It's very frustrating! I'm hoping that this symptom might be related to my probably OSA...So far my doctors have been looking into Mitochondrial dysfunction instead, but that would be less treatable. I had 33 apneas per hour, but no desaturation (average O2sats of 95% and lowest 90%).

Thanks so much for your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you point me to the information you read? I have less cramping now that I am on cpap. Still cramping too much. Thanks
Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 08:42 AM)Inspire Wrote: Have any of you suffered from extreme muscle acidity.
I have issues with cramping not due particularly to lactic acid.
I have struggled with this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramp_fa...n_syndrome most my adult life, though it was really miserable in my 30s.

Since the problem tends to come and go on its own, I can't tell you yet if treating apnea will help. I do know that back when the problem was diagnosed I did not have apnea.

Good luck.. And yeah there was a year there where going up and down the stairs on my butt was the best option Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

That sounds like a pain in the ... no fun. My wife had to do that after two failed surgerys until we moved.
Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lactic acid and cramping are not necessarily synonymous. Lactic acid build up is usually due to exercise and can also be induced by various drugs.

The night cramps that people suffer are not lactic acid based but result from a deficiency of certain minerals - magnesium and potassium are the two main ones. Supplements can make a big difference.

I've found that CPAP has significantly reduced my instances of leg cramps.

(that's the theory in the article, but they didn't actually test it)!

So treat it as BS.
Post Reply Post Reply
after starting cpap the cramps have been less. Now i want them gone forever Okay
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 years with sleep apnea-still struggling RogerAN 16 234 2 hours ago
Last Post: RogerAN
  [Symptoms] Not sure if sleep apnea/insomnia/anxiety AJ87 4 50 4 hours ago
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Perception of increased resistance during day after commencing CPAP? 3mp0w3r 3 104 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Last Post: TASmart
  New to Board not to Sleep Apnea Dr Bobs Patient 6 352 03-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Last Post: DrmWEaver
Sad [CPAP] My Sleep Apnea Story and CPAP Issue ihatesleepapnea2017 8 228 03-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Introduction - Newly Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea insignia100 20 545 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Melman
  Can you have sleep apnea during the day? zonk 21 49,891 03-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Last Post: Lkng67