Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Increased Pressure, Increased Events, What to do?
Increased Pressure, Increased Events, What to do?
While my AHI readings are generally very good, I worry about my RERA results thinking that they affect my overall well being during the day. I feel that I should be even more alert than I am but that might be just wishful thinking at age 65.

I followed advice to try and lower them by increasing the minimum pressure. What seems to be happening is that my 95% and max pressures are going up as well.

Currently my min pressure is 13 (the recommended level after titration). I've upped it gradually from 10 fro the last 6 months. The max blew out to 19 last night - unheard of for me. What's worse is that a few months ago OAs were virtually non-existent and hypopneas were minimal. Two nights ago I had 9 OAs and 11 Hs. While the OAs were dealt with quickly the hypopneas were lasting between 20 to 30 seconds. There were 27 RERAs.

So what is the extra pressure doing - not helping that's for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Increased Pressure, Increased Events, What to do?
How's your leak rate? For some machines, a leak could be read as an apnea, triggering it to raise pressure. (It is possible to raise your pressure too much and get worse results.)

Have you noticed if you tuck your chin down? If yes, that may adversely affect breathing. A cervical collar or pillow to prevent that may help.
Do you sleep on your back? If yes, check if sleeping on your side improves your results. It often will do so for obstructive events.
Have there been any changes in what/when you eat? Later and/or heavy meals may affect your apnea
Alcohol and other sedating drugs can affect your apnea.
Level of fatigue, exercise during the day, reflux, other medical conditions etc. may affect your results too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 410 19 minutes ago
Last Post: BigWing
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.