Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Increased Pressure, now waking up a ton???
RE: Increased Pressure, now waking up a ton???
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been sick for a week so unable to use machine.

Bonjour...I'm going to assume the doctor turned off the EPR when he went from APAP to CPAP.

So to recap, I was on APAP before and it wasn't great but not horrible. Then he switched to CPAP and it's bad...as I'm wakking up a lot.
I tried going back to APAP a few nights and I still woke up a lot.

Is it possible then by turning OFF the EPR, that can cause more centrals? Or more waking up? I know it's usually the opposite from what I've read, and probably why the doctor did it?

I don't know what to do and I'm so frustrated. If I go to the doctor now he will just say I didn't give it enough time.
Should I just stay with the CPAP for a few months even if it's bad.

I can't even remember how long I've given it a chance. I think only a few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Treating central on a CPAP or BiLevel wo backup is the process of avoiding them, not treating them.  Traditionally this is done by first reducing PS/EPR/flex, then finally pressure, thus the tendency toward a fixed CPAP pressure.

ASV is the preferred treatment for Central Apnea which works by applying variable and high PS to maintain Minute vent on ResMed or Tidal Volume on PR machines.  There is an alternative called Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS).  This works in all cases where the CO2 levels are causing the apnea.  I suspect this is the form you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greg, you have treatment emergent central apnea. It has been mentioned in this thread that the best treatment for this is ASV, and it is possible we can kludge together an enhanced expiratory rebreathing system to increase CO2 and reduce CA events. The problem with your last post is that you are assuming blame for the failure of CPAP therapy, and this blame or sense of guilt is misplaced. Your therapy eliminated obstructive apnea and replaced it with central apnea, therefore you could not achieve efficacy. It is NOT your fault, nor is it appropriate for a doctor to blame you for a failure that is fairly common, and for which there is a known solution.

The best approach is to first understand the problem, learn why insurance requires individuals with central or complex apnea to first fail CPAP, then fail bilevel, and finally receive ASV; and learn how and why ASV works for people like you. With that information in hand you will have enough information to discuss the problem with your doctor, and have a reasonable expectation to progress to the next step towards success. The alternative pathway is to simply buy your own ASV from the used or gray market. Know this, ASV will work to treat you to a near zero AHI. Let's start by reading the Justifying Advanced PAP Machines wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines

Understanding how this process works, you can now call your doctor's office to explain that CPAP does not work for you, and that instead of obstructive apnea, you now have central apnea and you cannot comfortably use the machine. Make the request for ASV titration. If your doctor is a good one, he will schedule an evaluation of both bilevel without backup and ASV. This should lead to approval of ASV. If your doctor blames you, then you need a new doctor. The insurance company hopes you become frustrated and will quit. Some doctors don't want to bother with patients that are more difficult to treat. Don't make their day. Stand up for your rights for good, effective therapy and better health.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 187 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 342 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 389 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 208 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 452 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.