Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inexperienced and worried about the recall, I could really use some advice
Sad 
Inexperienced and worried about the recall, I could really use some advice
Hello there everyone. I've been a daily user of a System One for years now, and have become so reliant upon it that I acquired a second one as a backup and travel unit. Folks here have in the past helped me manually configure it to better fit my needs, and I've just left it alone and used it like that ever since.

My situation is common to many Americans: I am buggered by our awful health care system. Getting a new device here usually requires making appointments weeks or even months out, then dealing with insurance companies who default to trying to deny you everything, then waiting longer for approval and then longer for delivery. I make okay money and prefer to just buy the units myself and handle configuration on my end to save time and many days of lost sleep.

With the recall now telling me to stop using my devices immediately, I am panicking. I feel like I'm kinda screwed here once again by medical BS, and am dreading having to go through the whole dang process all over again. I am looking for some advice on what to do next other than "talk to a doctor" because I just can't mentally survive weeks of sleeplessness anymore.

Are there recommended devices that I can upgrade to that are easy enough for a home user to configure without having to get approval from their insurance company for every single change? Are there functioning methods available for copying, importing, or transferring configuration options across devices?

Any assistance is appreciated, I'm kinda freaking out here and my soonest available Drs appointment is two weeks out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inexperienced and worried about the recall, I could really use some advice
The specialty here is to help users optimize their therapy.  There are many facebook, reddit, and other forum posts that actually refer others to ApneaBoard for that very reason.

The PR2 data is encrypted and PR has stated that as of the DS2 they are not making the data available to the users so I cannot recommend a PR product.  My Product of choice is the ResMed AutoSets.  For you I'll suggest either the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her or the new ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet which includes the "for Her" Algorithms because these offer a softer response which is most similar to the PR machines, it is considerably different in any case.  There is nothing wrong the other model, ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
By any chance do you have a copy of your original Prescription?  
Call your Doctor or E-mail him and say you are going to purchase a APAP on your own and could he please provide you with a prescription for an APAP, Mask, and heated hose of patients choice with settings of (Settings on your current machine). The prescription opens up a lot more sources.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inexperienced and worried about the recall, I could really use some advice
I’m not a doctor, so I can’t tell you what’s best medically, but I’ll relate my experience upon recall of my Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) machines:
1. I registered my two PRS1 machines online.
2. I sent an online-portal note to my regular doctor that I was going to stay on CPAP, because I felt it was less risky than stopping using the recalled machines. Doctor agreed.
3. I looked for evidence that my foam had gone bad. Black bits on the humidifier gasket was a tip-off, and then I opened up the machine and took out the foam. It crumbled around the edges - so I’m not using that machine. My other PRS1 did not have a problem, so I used it.
4. I got hold of a used ResMed machine, and started using it.
5. I tried to arrange an appointment with a new sleep doctor. Just two months later I got into their schedule.
6. Because my needs are changing, I’m moving to BiLevel PAP. I’ve borrowed one and done other things while waiting for a lightly used ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto from Supplier #2 (none available locally - I would have been 6th on the waiting list locally).

I hope this helps. PRS1 users seem to be back of the line in Philips Respironics recall process.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,847 1 hour ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,178 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,439 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.