Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inflammation bright red on cheeks
Inflammation bright red on cheeks
I have 4 nights in as a new user.  No sleep yet with mask on so I take it off either at Hour 4 or 6 and then fall asleep without it.  Terribly tired and wondering how long this will last.  My cheeks were getting red and today they are really red and inflamed?  Am I allergic to the mask?  The store where I bought everything is closed on Sat and Sunday so I will have to wait to contact them.  This happened during my sleep study also and took a few days to go away.  This is not easy!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inflammation bright red on cheeks
You will probably do better to stick to a single thread for these questions as they are related and it helps to keep therapy and adaptation information in one place.

Quote:Solar Rays Wrote:
Hello - I'm glad to find this board.  I have 2 nights of C-Pap use.  I don't find anything uncomfortable about the mask or hose, however, I have had a long history of insomnia, also treated for high blood pressure and mitral valve regurgitation.  Even though I've had insomnia, my sleep is deprived for the past 2 nights.  I used the mask for 7 hours the 1st night and 5 hours the 2nd night.  Is this typical to not be able to sleep? How long will this last.  I am positive and determined to make this work.  I could use some support.  Thank You.

You have insomnia according to your last post, and it was good that you got off to a strong start.  It looks like you're back-peddling, and removing the mask after a few hours.  This reinforces your feeling that the therapy is not restful and you should sleep without it.  If you continue to do this, you will fail.  Your first challenge is to address the insomnia.  Once you get more accustomed to CPAP, it will become part of your sleep routine and you will easily fall asleep.  To solve your problems, we need to find out what is keeping you awake.  Is it therapy related, or is your mind racing?  Is there something that makes you uncomfortable? You are using a nasal mask, did you ever try nasal pillows? A smaller interface would be more comfortable and easier to seal. The Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows are very quiet and minimalistic, and could help avoid sleep disruption and redness from contact.

I am an authority on redness.  I have severe rosacea and often have a red flushed face and am easily irritated.  The mask is silicone and is for most people is hypo-allergenic.  What are you using for cleaning?  Have you changed any part of your routine before bedtime and what you use on your face?  Is your face free of all makeup, oils, moisturizers before putting on the mask? Your profile does not say what kind of mask you are using. That might be useful information to respond to your question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  I wasn't quite sure how to use this board.  I don't know how to go back in and add my machine and mask information.  It's a F & P Brrevida Nasal Pillows Mask.  I am cleaning it with baby shampoo (natural one) as directed by the respiratory therapist.  I don't use any lotion before bed so that I get a tight seal.  What are you using for the redness?  I've and sleeping issues for years and take melatonin and valerian but sleeping worse with the c-Pap.  I take off the mask because I have to get some sleep in order to work the next day.  My respiratory therapist told me it's ok to wear it for the minimal hours to comply with the insurance company and to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2017, 12:15 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: . . . I wasn't quite sure how to use this board.  I don't know how to go back in and add my machine and mask information. 

Look in the upper right of the web page for a link named, "UserCP".  This will take you to your profile page.  On the leftside of your profile page, under "Menu", select "Edit Profile". When you're ready to exit, make sure that you click on the "Update Profile" at the bottom of the page to save all your edits.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I have a bad redness outbreak, I use prescription Mirvaso. Other than that, I just try to avoid harsh soaps, intense sunlight and things with irritating chemicals, including some sunscreens and alcohol.

If the redness you have is where straps cross your face, I recommend washing the straps in whatever works for you, and consider getting the PAD A CHEEK Strap Pad Style B in Micro fleece strap pads from Supplier #31
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Solar Rays,
Some people have an allergy to silicone which the mask seal is made off, also keep the seal spotless and grime and bacteria can build up on it and between the seal and your skin very quickly.  Keep your skin clean and free from grease as well.
You can clean the seal with a non alcohol wipe, though I have had not trouble using baby wipes so far, though I never check, so they may be free of it anyway.  Just run round the seal and allow to dry before putting the mask on, this will help, providing you do not have an allergy to the wipes.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Insomnia is a tricky one to deal with, I was on another forum where a lady went to a Sleep Clinic in London, a certain very expensive street.  She had very bad insomnia and was given the advice to keep to the same timings for going to bed every night and to start preparing to go to bed at the same time every night.  She was also told to go to bed a lot earlier than she had been doing.  This she thought pointless as she said she could not sleep anyway.  She was also told to have a cup of warm milk an hour or two before going to bed.  Milk at same time, prepare for bed at the same time (i.e. put on pyjamas) and go to bed at the same time, no alcohol after 6pm, no excuses, it had to be followed.  So reluctantly she followed the doctors advice (it was costing her plenty as it was private treatment and this street of medical people are not cheap) and within a month she was looking forward to going to bed.  She was feeling tired and looking forward to getting a good nights sleep.
It worked for her and she was lucky if she was getting more than 2 to 3 hrs sleep a night, now she is getting more than twice that (Or so she says) but I have not seen her for quite a while (maybe she is sleeping these days) Tongue but it is at least worth a try.  The theory is your body gets used to the regular times and gets used to doing the same thing at the same time each day, however, what knocked her was the time change twice a year, her body clock was still at the old time.
This advice comes free so you don't need to pay for it.
If you work shifts this will not work for you, but if not, give it a try, nothing to loose and everything to gain.
You have to stick to it and go to bed a lot earlier than you do at the moment as it (According to the doctor) was going to bed a bit later every night that tipped the balance in the first place.
I wouldn't know, I am not a doctor, but she did say it worked for her and she never thought it would.
Neither did anyone else for that mater!   Dont-know
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 453 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,030 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999
  A10 Mod: Anyone Know How To Keep The Screen Bright When Lights Are Off? player 5 4,860 01-26-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Mask fit - chipmunk cheeks Jmellarkey 0 781 01-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Jmellarkey
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,169 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.