Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inflated Head and FFM
Inflated Head and FFM
I am assuming this is normal and expected, but wanted to ask if there was any advice.

I am coming up on two months of PAPin' This has all been with the F&P Eson nasal mask. It has worked very well for me with no major leakage problems. On Monday I am going in to get my deviate septum put on the straight and narrow and a shave and cut for my inferior turbinates. To compensate for the temporary nasal blockage, i got a F&P Simplus FFM. Yes, my ENT surgeon gave the green light to continue using my machine.

I slept with it the first time last night and it was mostly fine, AHI of 1.08 and no major leaks. But I mostly sleep with my tongue stuck to the roof to my mouth, that is how I normally breathe. That is not going to work post-surgery for a few days. I tried pulling my tongue down a few times to allow mouth breathing. When I do... my face inflates. I imagine that I look like an enraged chipmunk on a peanut binge. Thinking about this, it makes sense. The CPAP machine is doing to my cheeks, what it is intended to do to my whole airway. It is just kind of... not comfortable. I looked at chin straps, but they seem more aimed at keeping your mouth closed which is not the issue for a FFM.

Is there a way to make this better? Does the discomfort / odd feeling lessen with time?

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inflated Head and FFM
Hi chill
I had the surgery done some time ago, but didn't use CPAP for a week
Nice to know, the doc have no problem using CPAP straight after the surgery

I cannot offer you any advice regarding your question but good luck with the surgery and wishing you speedy recovery

Post Reply Post Reply
It's true that if you allow the air pressure to enter the mouth you will look like an enraged chipmunk on a peanut binge! Dielaughing

Will your nasal breathing be cut-off for several days, or are we assuming the surgery will make nasal breathing uncomfortable? I don't know a good way around this problem, but your description of it made me laugh. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies and wishes. My surgeon is a bit old school and my nose will be packed for two days. That is the reason that I wanted the FFM. The hospital is planning on keeping my over night due to concern about the anaesthesia causing the apnea to worsen. They require me to bring in my machine. I was happy about their approach to this.

I think the effect is mostly positional. Last night I tried it while lying on my side, which is how I normally sleep. The effect was much reduced and not at all uncomfortable. When I lie on my back my cheeks tend to inflate more. I did not find it so bad last night so the first night I may have only been half awake or just shocked by the sudden impersonation of a balloon.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Chipmunk Cheeks" are fairly common and usually go away as the musculature in your mouth gets used to the pressure differential. Think of it as an exercise program for your cheeks!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 677 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,052 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 775 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  P30i pulsating/hammering on my head koy23 0 519 12-19-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.