Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Influence of EPR-Level on Central Apnea
RE: Influence of EPR-Level on Central Apnea
The idea is that the machine makes it easier to exhale. Many people find it hard to exhale against the full pressure of the inhalation setting. The pressure of the inhalation setting is designed to keep your airway open to prevent obstructive apnea.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2015, 10:36 AM)pizza41466 Wrote: You should show that to your doctor. It's very similar to the Cheyne-Stokes pattern.

Hi richb,

The data you posted represents a textbook example of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration. Those are real central apneas. The machine is scoring them correctly.

Congratulations. I predict that you, too, may soon be the proud owner of a top of the line ASV machine.

Or, if for some reason ASV therapy has not always been a secret desire of yours (and actually, for most people it hasn't been) then I would suggest you try turning down Pressure Support to 0.8 cmH2O or lower.

Good luck.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2015, 04:38 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: Is maximum pressure support that of '4' on your BPAP machine?

Don't understand the last paragraph of your post:

(06-22-2015, 03:18 PM)richb Wrote: My machine is set to auto with min at 8 and max at 18. It has a PS pressure support level of 4. It generally is graphing between a IPAP of 8 and an EPAP of 12. The PS of 4 generally equates to a relief setting of 4.

Hi tedburnsIII,

richb meant his EPAP is usually 8 and his IPAP is usually 12.

His IPAP is always 4 higher than his EPAP.

Pressure Support (presently 4) is manually adjustable on his machine between zero and perhaps 10 (if memory serves).

His EPAP is set to automatically adjust within the range of 8 to 18, as high may be needed to prevent obstructive events.

Since his IPAP is always 4 higher than his EPAP, his IPAP can vary between 12 to 22.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
vsheline- Thanks for your answers based on greater experience with this whole process. What didn't make sense to me is why EPAP would ever be more than IPAP. There seemed to be a contradiction in his last paragraph.

I can't imagine IPAP reaching an upper limit of 22. though, when IPAP is set for 8-18. And if maximum EPAP were at a level of 10, are you saying that maximum IPAP would then actually be at 28 (where IPAP set at 8-18cm)??
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 01:59 AM)tedburnsIII Wrote: What didn't make sense to me is why EPAP would ever be more than IPAP. There seemed to be a contradiction in his last paragraph.

... And if maximum EPAP were at a level of 10, are you saying that maximum IPAP would then actually be at 28 (where IPAP set at 8-18cm)??

You are right, EPAP will never be more than IPAP.

When richb wrote "My machine ... generally is graphing between a IPAP of 8 and an EPAP of 12" what he meant to write is "EPAP of 8 and an IPAP of 12."

I think we all sometimes say the opposite of what we mean, or at least I do from time to time.

Min EPAP was set to 8; Max EPAP was set to 18. Pressure Support was set to 4, so IPAP was always 4 higher than EPAP, making the range for IPAP be 12-22.

If the Max EPAP setting would have been 10 then the maximum to which EPAP could have gone would have been 10, and IPAP would have been 4 higher, 14, because for bi-level IPAP = EPAP + PS.

Please be patient with us, and take care,
--- Vaughn
Post Reply Post Reply
[
You are right, EPAP will never be more than IPAP.

When richb wrote "My machine ... generally is graphing between a IPAP of 8 and an EPAP of 12" what he meant to write is "EPAP of 8 and an IPAP of 12."

I think we all sometimes say the opposite of what we mean, or at least I do from time to time.

--- Vaughn
[/quote]

Thank you for the correction. I did get my Es and Is mixed up.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
As an aside, it appears that I was mistaken.

AHI apparently includes ALL apneas, and that would necessarily include central. I had thought that it did not include CAs.

I did know that RDI is the determining factor for severity of condition. It seems that many have sleep studies where AHI and RDI are the same. That would mean that no RERA's were observed.
Post Reply Post Reply
vsheline: Could you please explain this part of your equipment details:

CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 4-10
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 03:13 AM)vsheline Wrote: Min EPAP was set to 8; Max EPAP was set to 18. Pressure Support was set to 4, so IPAP was always 4 higher than EPAP, making the range for IPAP be 12-22.

If the Max EPAP setting would have been 10 then the maximum to which EPAP could have gone would have been 10, and IPAP would have been 4 higher, 14, because for bi-level IPAP = EPAP + PS.

--- Vaughn

Vaughn,

I am not sure about the Aircurve 10 but with my S9 VPAP Auto there is no max EPAP setting. The range settings are min EPAP and max IPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2015, 11:31 AM)tedburnsIII Wrote: vsheline: Could you please explain this part of your equipment details:

CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 4-10

I use an early S9 ASV machine which offers two therapy modes, fixed-pressure CPAP mode and plain ASV mode. It does not also offer ASVAuto mode.

In plain ASV mode EPAP is manually adjustable between 4 to 15, and Pressure Support has settings for Min PS (which can be zero to 6) and for Max PS (which must be at least 5 higher than Min PS and can be as high as 15).

I usually set Min PS around 4 or 5, and Max PS around 10.

The machine starts out with EPAP 15 and IPAP 19, but whenever my Minute Volume (the volume of air inhaled/exhaled per minute) suddenly drops lower than 90% of my recent average Minute Volume (averaged over a few minutes, I think) the machine quickly (within a few seconds) automatically increases PS as much as needed to maintain at least 90% of my recent Minute Volume. By the time the PS gets as high as 10 the machine is doing for me all the work of breathing.

So, throughout the night my EPAP is fixed at 15 and my PS varies between around 4 or 5 up to 10, as needed. This means my IPAP varies from around 19 or 20 up to 25.

Newer ResMed ASV machines have ASVAuto mode and are able to also vary EPAP within a range, if desired.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 608 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,408 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 216 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 88 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.