Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility
Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility
Does anyone know about Sleep Apnea and it’s effect of HRV? Or CPAP and it’s affect on HRV? 

I ask out of curiosity after monitoring my 02, HRV and Heart rate over 6 months especially at nights with and without my CPAP machine (with observed apneas by my partner).

If I have understood what I’ve read, heathy HRV should be at its highest at night when you are asleep especially after 2am - when using a CPAP machine that’s not what I’ve observed for myself.

If I use my CPAP my HRV drops down to 34ms on average (73ms max) and my heart rate sits around 61 bpm average (55bpm lowest)… and I feel more almost stressed when i wake up usually falling asleep again after I remove the mask.

However if I don’t use my CPAP my HRV is around 66ms average (100ms max) and my heart rate drops to around 58 bpm average (55 bpm lowest); i wake up almost instantly and the morning I feel decent but crash as the day progresses.

As I understand it, the HRV should be at it highest in sleep.

Note about above examples : the example for the one using CPAP, I used the CPAP for most of the night only removing it at 7:30am and falling asleep again, the other one I didn't use the CPAP at all that night.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility
Hello tinyobject, 

I just purchased a HRV watch myself.  I did some research on it.  Greater HRV is supposed to be seen during sleep.  I can already tell the same thing will most likely happen when I record with it that happened to you.  

HRV is the ability of the autonomic nervous system to change back and forth from sympathetic to parasympathetic and then back when necessary.  It is a sign of a good, healthy heart.  The increased air coming into the body is a new and foreign stimulus (thus pushing the body into more sympathetic to deal with the new, novel experience of cpap, etc.).  My heart rate that I have recorded is about 5 or so beats faster at night when I use my ventilator as opposed to not using it.  It forces my heart to work a little harder to pump more blood to circulate the extra oxygen provided by the cpap.  

Without a doubt though for me, the benefits of using the ventilator at night far outweigh the small decrease in HRV.  Far less chance of any hypoxia to tissues, etc.  So I plan on keeping on using it.  

It seems like the higher the pressure and the more variable the pressure is, the more it stimulates the sympathetic nervous system.  Just my observations.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 3 81 36 minutes ago
Last Post: sabletaurus
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 2 116 04-14-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 68 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 459 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,336 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 259 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.