Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inhalation machine delay
Inhalation machine delay
Hello everyone, hope your therapy machine, whichever one you use, is giving you the rest you need, as mine is.

My question is this, How can I adjust my RESMED S9 for a smoother transition from exhalation to inhalation? When going to inhalation it is like I have to suck a small plug out of a straw before the air flow begins. A sensitivity setting is my guess but I don't know how to get to it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

wardblvd
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inhalation machine delay
Is your S9 VPAP the VPAP S, VPAP Auto, VPAP ST, VPAP Adapt? How long have you had your machine? How long have you been on PAP? What is your EPAP setting and what is your IPAP setting?

If you can answer all of the questions correctly, I will divulge the secret settings!! Big Grin Dielaughing Just kidding.

You should not have no air flow at the end of an exhale. It should be lower than your inhale flow but there should be significant flow.

First, check the tubing type setting and make sure that it is set to the type of tubing that you are using.

To get into the super secret clinician's menu, start from the Home menu. Hold down the push dial and setting button for 3 -5 seconds and you will get to the clinician's menu. Look for the "Easy Breathe" setting. If you have one and it is not turned on, turn it on.

Let us know how you are doing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the try Payton, but my machine doesn't seem to have an "Easy Breathe" setting. What else can I try?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2015, 07:58 PM)wardblvd Wrote: Thanks for the try Payton, but my machine doesn't seem to have an "Easy Breathe" setting. What else can I try?

What is your PS setting. I run at 4. A wide (large) PS will present more "slap" in the transitions to/from IPAP/EPAP.

If easybreathe isn't in the menu, you may be in auto mode like Payton and I. Our flow waveforms have a nice exponential rise, then decay.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are putting in your profile for PS, IPAP and EPAP. See mine.

Get the software and view your flow waveforms.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your VPAP, a VPAP S, a VPAP Auto or some other flavor of VPAP altogether?

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ward, go back into the clinical menu -- what is your Trigger setting on? The options are Very low, Low, Medium, High and Very High. The Trigger setting adjusts the sensitivity of the machine when switching from exhale pressure (EPAP) to inhale pressure (IPAP). The lower settings feel like the machine is slower to switch to IPAP when you inhale. This setting alone can make a difference.

You can read more and see a good visual of this on Page 5 of the S9 VPAP clinician manual. You'll also see there's a "Cycle" setting right below Trigger, which handles the sensitivity of the machine in switching from IPAP to EPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do we know yet which VPAP wardblvd is using and in what mode???

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
While I know little about VPAP, I have found that the choice of mask can actually make a difference. I posted last year, complaining that my system (S9 APAP) seemed to not be smart enough to know when I was finished inhaling, and that there seemed to be a short delay before EPR kicked in, where the back pressure was greater. As soon as I began exhaling it would recognize that and then lower the pressure, but it seemed like it should have been able to detect this quicker and react quicker.

Then I went from the Swift FX NPs to the P10. These are very similar masks, but with the P10 that delay seemed to no longer be there.

This is of course the exact opposite of the OP's experience. I was seeing a delay at the beginning of exhalation, while wardblvd was seeing a delay at the beginning of inhalation. But that said, maybe the mask choice can be a factor for either.
Post Reply Post Reply
We still do not know which VPAP wardblvd is using as well as what mode it is being used in. It is rather difficult to make any kind of recommendations without that information.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 624 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Airsense 11 Noises on Inhalation? Normal? BigData 0 920 06-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: BigData
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] CPAP vs. Bi Pap for inhalation/exhalation variability Willec49 1 476 07-24-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.