Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inhale noise problem Resmed S9
Question 
Inhale noise problem Resmed S9
I have a one day old Resmed S9. I used it on Auto, and my AHI was <3 for the first night. But, there is a loud "whooshing" type noise upon every inhalation. The noise is coming from the flow generator. I can tell this by inhaling & holding the machine next to my ear. I have seen other posts, elsewhere about this problem. If anyone has information about this noise I would like to hear about it. Thanks!
Cloudoc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inhale noise problem Resmed S9
If you've had it for just that long, ask for another. Check the hours used to make sure you are getting a new one. Hold the two silver buttons down, scroll to the Sleep Quality screen, tap the knob button, then scroll down in that screen. Hours used will be the last line.

Other than that, make sure the humidifier lid is down completely. Make sure the filter is in correctly. Make sure the humidifier and blower unit are correctly attached to each other.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 09:38 AM)Dr. Bernard Loewenthal Wrote: But, there is a loud "whooshing" type noise upon every inhalation. The noise is coming from the flow generator.

Hi Cloudoc! Welcome

OK, I think you're the first to report a noise on inhalation, so far, all the people reporting a whistle type noise have always said it occurs on exhalation.

If you're using a ClimateLine hose, can you take your standard SlimLine hose, disconnect the H5i humidifier, connect the standard hose directly to the flow generator and see if there's still a noise when you inhale?

I've previously racked my brain trying to determine the cause of the S9's whistle that other users have reported but, my S9 doesn't make any kind of sound so I can only go by what other users have said.

If your S9 continues to make the sound you describe, you should take it back to your DME on Monday with your mask and test another S9 to ensure there's no noise coming from it, the S9 is one of the quietest flow generators on the market and you may have a defective unit.

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, actually, I had this happen last night. For the first time ever, I pulled my CPAP off the shelf. I think I had the hose wrapped around my wrist and when I moved, down it came. It went straight down and landed on the front edge. There was no water anywhere on the floor and none on the outside of the machine. I felt inside the opening between the humidifier and the blower unit and it was dry. I turned it back on and it seemed to work fine until I put my mask on.

It was like an asthmatic Darth Vader. It was akin to a dying asthmatic cow. In other words, it sounded awful. Both dogs ran out of the room and stood in the doorway, staring at me.

With the mask off, it sounded as quiet as usual.

I took the humdifier to the bathroom and opened it up. It was wet inside there but not that bad. I dried everything off including removing the gasket on the lid (it was wet behind it). I dried everything I could and hooked everything back up. When I turned it back on and put the mask on, it wasn't nearly as bad but within just a few breaths, it slowly stopped by the time the pressure got up to speed.

What I think it was is the air flowing over either that gasket or some other spot of water which caused a ripple which then amplified. The noise was on the inhale and exhale with the louder part being the inhale.

Did I mention it was an awful racket?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had this on occasion, especially when my machine was new. Never figured it out, but I would just fuss with the mask, hose, position, etc., until I couldn't hear it anymore. Sometimes that meant getting out of bed, coming back and starting over completely. It wasn't excessively loud, but definitely somewhat noisy while my machine is generally whisper quiet.
To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 01:22 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 09:38 AM)Dr. Bernard Loewenthal Wrote: But, there is a loud "whooshing" type noise upon every inhalation. The noise is coming from the flow generator.

Hi Cloudoc! Welcome

OK, I think you're the first to report a noise on inhalation, so far, all the people reporting a whistle type noise have always said it occurs on exhalation.

If you're using a ClimateLine hose, can you take your standard SlimLine hose, disconnect the H5i humidifier, connect the standard hose directly to the flow generator and see if there's still a noise when you inhale?

I've previously racked my brain trying to determine the cause of the S9's whistle that other users have reported but, my S9 doesn't make any kind of sound so I can only go by what other users have said.

If your S9 continues to make the sound you describe, you should take it back to your DME on Monday with your mask and test another S9 to ensure there's no noise coming from it, the S9 is one of the quietest flow generators on the market and you may have a defective unit.

Sleep-well

Ren
The same problem exists when I attach the slimline hose directly to the flow generator. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Reply Post Reply
Take it back and get another. The machine, not the hose.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 09:38 AM)Dr. Bernard Loewenthal Wrote: I have a one day old Resmed S9. I used it on Auto, and my AHI was <3 for the first night. But, there is a loud "whooshing" type noise upon every inhalation. The noise is coming from the flow generator. I can tell this by inhaling & holding the machine next to my ear. I have seen other posts, elsewhere about this problem. If anyone has information about this noise I would like to hear about it. Thanks!
Cloudoc

I have the same thing on mine (set at 9) on inhalation. Plus the soft whistling sound on exhalation (but that is not bothersome).This is the second brand new unit and does the same. Am planning on dumping it in favour of a PRS 1 unit which apparently is much quieter and holds a lot more water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2013, 08:26 PM)cam Wrote: I have the same thing on mine (set at 9) on inhalation. Plus the soft whistling sound on exhalation (but that is not bothersome).This is the second brand new unit and does the same. Am planning on dumping it in favour of a PRS 1 unit which apparently is much quieter and holds a lot more water.

Hi cam, welcome to the forum!

Your profile now says you're using a Fisher-Paykel 604.

Was the noise during inhalation coming from two new ResMed S9 machines you tried out?

Some S9 AutoSet users report their machine is very quiet. Others report noise occurs only in a small range of pressures and higher or lower pressures are quiet.

Pressure at the blower unit will be at least slightly different during inhale versus exhale, even if EPR is turned off, because the pressure dropped across the hose will be at least slightly different. Maybe the pressure change at the blower unit during inhalation versus exhalation is bringing it into and out of a noisy pressure range. This may explain why some hear the noise on inhale and others on exhale.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2013, 01:51 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-27-2013, 08:26 PM)cam Wrote: I have the same thing on mine (set at 9) on inhalation. Plus the soft whistling sound on exhalation (but that is not bothersome).This is the second brand new unit and does the same. Am planning on dumping it in favour of a PRS 1 unit which apparently is much quieter and holds a lot more water.

Hi cam, welcome to the forum!

Your profile now says you're using a Fisher-Paykel 604.

Was the noise during inhalation coming from two new ResMed S9 machines you tried out?

Some S9 AutoSet users report their machine is very quiet. Others report noise occurs only in a small range of pressures and higher or lower pressures are quiet.

Pressure at the blower unit will be at least slightly different during inhale versus exhale, even if EPR is turned off, because the pressure dropped across the hose will be at least slightly different. Maybe the pressure change at the blower unit during inhalation versus exhalation is bringing it into and out of a noisy pressure range. This may explain why some hear the noise on inhale and others on exhale.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
I still have the 604 but am trying out the Resmed machine.
This is the 3rd Resmed S9 that I have tried out. They are all the same. I believe the EPR is turned off as I complained initially when I tried the first machine on vacation that you could hear inhalation and exhalation. After I complained, I think the technician turned the EPR off. Now you just hear the inhalation. and because the reservoir is smaller, after just 7 or 8 hours the water level is below the bottom mark. I think I'll give the Philips RS 1 a try. I'll revert with my thoughts afterwards.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,937 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,209 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 193 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,505 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,850 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.