Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results
RE: Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results
I recently saw an Allergist.  I am allergic to dust mites.  I was prescribed prescription Azelastine HCL (a pump spray).  It is for allergic rhinitis.  1st time I used it it helped open my nose about 25% to 33% more. I use it twice daily.  A trip to the Allergist may help.  It is totally your call though.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are on to something there, I’m on Olopatadine, which helps me, too. The Azelastine did not help me as much, you may want to give Olopatadine a shot, that one is prescription only. I actually felt like the Azelastine would clog up my nose a bit after spraying for up to an hour or so after, which I have not found to happen with the Olopatadine.

I am awaiting the delivery of my allergy shots, I was essentially allergic to every single item on the environmental panel. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope the allergy shots help you.  I only tested positive for one item on the allergy tests (was a total of 10 or 12 different things they tested for if my memory serves me correctly).  Testing positive for everything is quite extreme (IMO).  

The nasal passages are vitally important for breathing.  Some people mouth breathe, but everyone nasal breathes at one time or another.  Tracheostomies are a different category also.  All the effort I have put in to helping my nasal breathing has paid off.  Seeing ENT and Allergist.  

Azelastine did just he opposite for me.  It expanded the area and room in my nose.  I read another post on here from a person using it who said it cleared out all of the crud and phlegm in his nose every time he used it (like a cleaning agent).  Seems like it works differently for different people.  

I even remember a couple of posts where people have been either sick or having severe allergies, and their AHI on OSCAR rose quite substantially.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I discontinued all nasal sprays and allergy meds and am doing well now that I have been on ASV for a while. I commonly wake up refreshed and happy, which was never the case before treatment and rarely the case on BiPAP. I also have multiple dreams every single night, which was never the case before CPAP and rarely the case on BiPAP.

My AHI is 0.0 on almost every night on ASV, but while not as low, it was still below 5.0 on almost every night on BiPAP.

Is there any way to get ASV prescribed so I can order myself a new machine or is this impossible because my AHI on the machine is low on BiPAP?

FWIW my second sleep study, while they only did CPAP, showed much higher ASV than my CPAP machine showed back then, so I assume I actually have many more hypopneas without ASV that are simply not scored as such by the machine automatically.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you already are prescribed a bipap (not ASV) that is treating you below 5 AHI on average, it may be tough.  Also, since your titration study is the basis that your healthcare providers use, this as well can make it tougher.  The best way may be to try to demonstrate to your healthcare providers how well the ASV is treating you (show them OSCAR charts, etc. of 0 AHI on multiple nights.  Highlight any other significant improvements also).  Call attention to any respiratory problems/tests that back you up also.  Can anyone think of a better way to get ASV prescribed?
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.