Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initial Settings On My ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Initial Settings On My ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Hey fellow hoseheads!!! 8 years ago I was prescribed a BiPAP machine with an I=9.0 and an E=6.0. I now have a AirSense 10 Autoset APAP machine. I am considering setting the pressure range on my APAP at 6 - 9. Do you think this would this be a good place to start. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Initial Settings On My ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
If it were me, I'd open up the top range a bit -- perhaps 15 max and 6 min.
I also would turn ERP on to 3 which will emulate the previous bilevel split you had at I=9/E=6.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your choice isn't bad, but doesn't allow for much variation from day to day. I think to be equivalent to your original prescription, I would bracket your old Ipap with perhaps 7.0 min and 11 max, and set the EPR to 3, which is more or less your old PS. Or you could make the max and min both 9; but you lose the advantage of the automatic range setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 11:41 PM)justMongo Wrote: If it were me, I'd open up the top range a bit -- perhaps 15 max and 6 min.
I also would turn ERP on to 3 which will emulate the previous bilevel split you had at I=9/E=6.

if you're going to do that, then you need to set the min at 9, not 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 11:30 PM)Hawker19 Wrote: Hey fellow hoseheads!!! 8 years ago I was prescribed a BiPAP machine with an I=9.0 and an E=6.0. I now have a AirSense 10 Autoset APAP machine. I am considering setting the pressure range on my APAP at 6 - 9. Do you think this would this be a good place to start. Thanks
To mimic your current settings as close as possible, you would need to set the AutoSet in CPAP mode with the pressure at 9cm and the EPR = 3.

If you want to experiment with APAP mode, you need to keep in mind that the pressure settings correspond to the IPAP on your old BiPAP machine. The EPR = 3 drops the pressure by 3cm on each exhale. In other words, EPAP = IPAP - EPR on the AirSense 10 APAP as long as IPAP - EPR >=4. If IPAP - EPR < 4, then the machine only reduces the pressure to 4 cm on exhalation.

Setting the APAP pressure range for 6-9 effectively means that IPAP will range from 6 to 9cm and your EPAP will range from 4 to 6 cm. Since your old machine was set to IPAP = 9, EPAP = 6, chances are that 6-9 with EPR = 3 won't provide enough protection when the machine is running at it's lowest pressure setting. Or the machine will pretty much run at 9cm for most of the night in response to flow limitations or snoring that starts every time it starts to lower the pressure back down.

I would recommend using an APAP range that is centered at your old IPAP pressure of 9cm. As a start, I'd suggest using an tight APAP range of 8-10cm. That way your IPAP will range from 8-10cm and your EPAP will range from 5--7 cm. That gives the machine some leeway for adjusting the pressures, but you won't be dealing with wide swings of pressure. After a week or two the data will tell you if you can safely lower the min pressure some OR if you need to raise the max pressure some.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 11:30 PM)Hawker19 Wrote: Hey fellow hoseheads!!! 8 years ago I was prescribed a BiPAP machine with an I=9.0 and an E=6.0. I now have a AirSense 10 Autoset APAP machine. I am considering setting the pressure range on my APAP at 6 - 9. Do you think this would this be a good place to start. Thanks
Do you have any data from the old machine?
You're not going to get consensus on this one, do what feel right for you and be prepared to do some adjustment as you gather some data

If were me, I use 9-12, EPR off and see what pan out .... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hawker19,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses. They have been a big help. I will consider each one very carefully. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

You had a fixed bilevel with pressure support of 3.0 cm. To mimic that same setting, you can set the Autoset at CPAP with pressure at 9.0 and EPR at 3 to produce fixed 9.0/6.0 constant pressure.

The autoset is designed to respond to your needs to increase or decrease pressure in auto mode. If you want to continue to have the same pressure support, set EPR to 3, and use a range of pressure. Setting minimum pressure to 7.0 will give a minimum pressure of 7.0/4.0, which seems a bit on the low side. Setting maximum pressure to 12 will give you a pressure of 12/9. The machine will self-adjust within that range, and after about a week you will be able to fine-tune what works and feels best.

Be sure to download Sleepyhead software (free) from the link at the top of the forum. This will help you interpret the results and make decisions later.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Smile Hi all, this is my first posting and thanks for inputs so far.

My sleep study set my CPAP pressure at 16. My sleepyhead is:

The last time you used your ResMed AutoSet...
was last night (on Wednesday, June 29, 2016)
You had an AHI of 37.10, which is considered horrible, please consult your doctor
You machine was on for 7 hours, 15 minutes and 3 seconds.
Your mask is leaking way too much.. Talk to your CPAP advisor.
Your pressure was under 12.22cmH2O for 95% of the time.

I solved the leak problem and have set the machine to "Full Mask". My average pressure appears to be 13. My ERP is set to 3. My setting is on "Auto" meaning EPAP mode. I have set machine up at min 4 and max 16. First question is what are the best settings to go to considering the sleepyhead data (attached). Also, I'm having a problem where the machine escalates to the indicated pressure, but never de-escalates, meaning it stays at higher pressures and doesn't go down any after event. I have to reset by pressing "Off" button and then "On" button to get the pressure down after an event. Is this normal behavior for "Auto" mode?

Thanks in advance for suggestions...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 18 347 21 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.