Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initiation of treatment: Help
Initiation of treatment: Help
ood evening.

I am new here in the Forum, my English is not good, I will try with google help posting some doubts:

In my titration exams, it was detected 4.0 Apnea / Hour and 27.1 Hipoapnea / Hour with suggestion of Use of CPAP with pressure of 12 CM H2O.

I purchased a CPAP Resmed S10 Autoset which is regulated as follows:

Machine Settings

ModeCPAP Mode APAP
Pressure MinMinimum Therapy Pressure 4.00 cmH2O
Pressure MaxMaximum Therapy Pressure 15.00 cmH2O
Antibacterial FilterAntibacterial Filter No
EPRResMed Exhale Pressure Relief Full Time
EPR LevelExhale Pressure Relief Level 3cmH2O
Humidifier StatusHumidifier Enabled Status On
Humidity LevelHumidity Level 5
MaskResMed Mask Setting Full Face
RampRamp Enable Off
Smart StartMachine auto starts by breathing On
TemperatureClimateLine Temperature 27 ºC
Temperature EnableClimateLine Temperature Enable 2

I still do not understand the graphics well, but you can see that the device, on the pressure up to the maximum pressure regulated (15), but can not avoid the OBSTRUCTIVE OPNEIAS.

Moment that also causes Air evacuation.

The graphics of the 2 night are pretty much identical to the first night.

How did I begin treatment now, should I wait longer, or could I do some adjustment at CEPAP, as increased pressure for better results?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Initiation of treatment: Help
Welcome to the forum.

2 key indicators here

1. Your OA events are in distinct clusters
2. Your flow rate during these clusters, and only during these clusters, is ragged and inconsistent

This implies a positional apnea, where you are turning over in bed and/or tucking your chin down.
Traditionally a chinstrap is used but a number of users are seeing better results with a loose fitting cervical collar.  An anti-snoring collar also works.  These work  by preventing the chin from dropping and tucking.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other thing I see here is that the minimum "level" seems to be just over 6 - so I would set the minimum to 6-6.5 or so rather than 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for the comments, friends!

BONJOUR: I have a chinstrap here and I can test it.

I do not know a cervical fitting collar, please see if that's what I attached?

KELJIAN: I was thinking of that possibility, or let the max by 15 per hour and adjust the minimum you suggested.

That night's data was even more horrible, I'll attach.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=foa...ORM=IQFRBA
Post Reply Post Reply
Sardelari, what you pictured appears to be a 'hard cervical collar' - for use with neck injuries.

The pictures in messenteria's link are all soft foam collars, which are more appropriate for out use. They gently help to keep the neck straight without applying much force.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tanks, pholynyk

I'll look

(09-22-2018, 07:37 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Sardelari, what you pictured appears to be a 'hard cervical collar' - for use with neck injuries.

The pictures in messenteria's link are all soft foam collars, which are more appropriate for out use. They gently help to keep the neck straight without applying much force.

Thank you,

See if it's something like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never been able to use a standard soft cervical collar for more than a few minutes due to discomfort. For the last several nights I have been successfully using the Dr. Dakota Snoring Stop. It is a modified soft cervical collar made of memory foam. As stated above, a loose fit is recommended. The small size is recommended for most people. The large is for people with longer than usual necks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2018, 09:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

2 key indicators here

1. Your OA events are in distinct clusters
2. Your flow rate during these clusters, and only during these clusters, is ragged and inconsistent

This implies a positional apnea, where you are turning over in bed and/or tucking your chin down.
Traditionally a chinstrap is used but a number of users are seeing better results with a loose fitting cervical collar.  An anti-snoring collar also works.  These work  by preventing the chin from dropping and tucking.

If I wear the chinstrap or a loose fitting cervical collar could I opt for a NASAL mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps. Even with your mouth held closed you may still blow air out around your teeth and through your lips, which are not sealed. That has been my experience with nasal masks. Others find a chin strap or collar alone permits them to use a nasal mask.  Some also tape there mouths. I would consult those on the forum with experience with taping before attempting that.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 60 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 284 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 200 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,065 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 585 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.