Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initiation of treatment: Help
RE: Initiation of treatment: Help
Thank you very much.

I'm going to test with the chinstrap I have here, it's not very conformable, but to test it is enough and we'll see what the data will be like tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a chinstrap did not reduce my flow limitations because it did not prevent chin tucking. It may depend on the design of the chinstrap but I find the collar to be much more effective.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
good evening

Tonight I used chinstrap, it's not very good, but it was the one I had available (Photos below)

Even with the chinstrap, it looks like it has not changed the event much.

I'm trying to find the cervical fitting collar, but they do not have around here. I looked at Ebai, but I could not find it.

Below the results tonight.

Does anyone have more laguma suggestion / guidance?

[Image: 29924323557_84de41cba7_m.jpg]

[Image: spaceout.gif][Image: spaceout.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my soft cervical collar on Amazon. They are also available at pharmacies in the U.S.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also try placing a small pillow under your chin to help nudge your chin closed. Though not perfect it can help while you search for a collar.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
A chin strap is not a substitute for a soft collar or wedge. While the soft collar can help with mouth leaks like the chin-strap, it's function is to maintain your airway alignment no matter what sleep position you are in. It prevents your chin from dropping to your chest as a result of pressure from pillows or just your sleep position.

You can try this little experiment. Sit in a comfortable chair and relax, really relax and feel your breathing. Now as you relax further, let your chin drop as far as it can. You may feel the increased airway resistance, a snore or even complete blockage. This is what the collar prevents.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2018, 06:21 AM)sardelari Wrote: I'm trying to find the cervical fitting collar, but they do not have around here. I looked at Ebai, but I could not find it.

sardelari,
Use Google or any search engine and type in “soft cervical collar.”  

Don’t buy a one size fits all.  Measure the circumference of your neck and add 2 to 3 inches.  Also, don’t buy a collar that is too tall.  For a male, 3” is usually sufficient, unless you have a long neck.  

The collar should not fit tight, but should be able to move around a bit.  

Looking at your graphs, it does look like you are cutting off your Airway by tucking your chin to your chest.  A soft collar will prevent this.

In the meantime, anything you can tuck under your chin will help, like a soft travel size neck cushion.
Turn it around with opening at back and place under your chin.

Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 08:55 AM)MitchS Wrote: I have never been able to use a standard soft cervical collar for more than a few minutes due to discomfort. For the last several nights I have been successfully using the Dr. Dakota Snoring Stop. It is a modified soft cervical collar made of memory foam. As stated above, a loose fit is recommended. The small size is recommended for most people. The large is for people with longer than usual necks.

Good afternoon,  MitchS

Here we only have to specific for cervical spine problems

I'll have to buy one of these here and adapt. (Check out the only pictures we have here)

Could you send me some pictures of yours and the measurements?

It can be IN BOX

Thank you

[Image: 31017503078_ed9593b670_m.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The one you have pictured is basically the same as the one I tried. My measurements may or may not work for you. It all depends on neck size. You can easily measure your own. For height, with your head held straight and level, measure in a straight line from the tip of your chin to the top of the sternum. Measure the circumference of your neck as well. Using those measurements, pick the collar size recommended by the collar manufacturer’s sizing guide. A collar with an adjustable circumference would be best since it will be worn looser than normal.

Attached Files Image(s)

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 195 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,991 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.