Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Inline Filter Questions
Inline Filter Questions
Hello all,
I've recently been trying to use an inline filter to hopefully cut down on some allergy symptoms. I believe my dust mite allergies could be causing my issues and/or contributing to sleep problems. But that's a story for another day.

So I installed the bulb filter between the machine and the hose as you're supposed to do however when I put my mask on, I can hear a whistling sound coming from I believe the mask or hose. It's worse when I lay on my side, because I'm guessing the whistling sort of echoes off my pillow and seems louder.

I found on another site where it's possible to install the filter an alternate way - between the hose and the mask. I've not had any issues wearing it this way but this poses another question. Most filters (home A/C, car engine, etc.) are meant to be installed to where the air flows one direction, which seems to be the same with these filters (see attached)

According to this graphic, if I connect to the actual hose and mask like I'm doing, the filter is technically backwards of how it should be. Is this going to be an issue? Are there any solutions to make it not whistle when it's installed the 'right' way? Any assistance is appreciated.

Note- this is not meant to be a debate whether or not I should use this type of filter. I know some people are against them, however I am trying them to see if they work for me. Thanks!

Edit- for some reason it's not allowing me to attach the photo of the airflow direction, so here is the link
[Commercial Link Removed] Search amazon for Nispira line Outlet Bacteria Filter

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inline Filter Questions
Trying to attach photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Remember to use the setting for an inline antibacterial filter on your machine settings. Keep an eye on the filter as they exist in a humid environment and need to be changed if you see any contamination. Consider adding Flonase to your therapy regimen. It might work wonders.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 11:48 AM)Jake B Wrote: Trying to attach photo

Jake the airflow arrows should be in the same direction...from the cpap machine to the filter to the mask.  

I've seen all kinds of screw ups with air filters in air handling units.  I'm an old mechanical engineer...

for instance, no filter; filters completely plugged; filters with blow by because they are built wrong. Noise problems because replacement filters weren't built right.  Filters that weren't assembled right by the manufacturer.

I have a question....is there a highly efficient ResMed filter that would fit in the cpap machine inlet?  That would be quieter....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 10:41 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 11:48 AM)Jake B Wrote: Trying to attach photo

Jake the airflow arrows should be in the same direction...from the cpap machine to the filter to the mask.

That is the 'correct' way to use these apparently. Machine to filter to hose to mask.

But the way I have mine installed (attached to the mask end), the filter has to be reversed due to the fittings on each end so the airflow is technically backwards:

Machine -> Hose -> Filter -> Mask

So my concern was how effective it would be using it like this. I don't seem to be having much issue so far, so we will see.

Hopefully all this makes sense, it's hard to explain without having something to show visually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going back to drafting board days...a long time ago...

The transition is shown properly...it's shorter and steeper on the inlet side of the filter. It's longer and shallower on the discharge side. The filter is shown properly.

If you've reversed the filter, it's in backwards and may be the cause of the noise. Way back I used to design HVAC for schools, hospital and industry.

However, I wouldn't use a filter like that. I don't know how it's made inside. and the air velocity and velocity pressure are high.

I'd rather use a high grade filter on the inlet to the cpap where the velocity is lower. I have standard ResMed filters. If a higher grade filter is available, I'll change. I plan to check with my DME.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Given that these are directional, I'd say it's not working well enough to bother with if you can't install it with right airflow direction in mind. If I'm not mistaken, these AB filters are expected to be near the machine outlet. Example on an NIV the AB filter is on the machine outlet. That placement otherwise that is intentional on your part, but I think the filter project overall here is a bust. I think it's asking for some trouble to reverse flow this filter intentional.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2021, 12:39 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Given that these are directional, I'd say it's not working well enough to bother with if you can't install it with right airflow direction in mind. If I'm not mistaken, these AB filters are expected to be near the machine outlet. Example on an NIV the AB filter is on the machine outlet. That placement otherwise that is intentional on your part, but I think the filter project overall here is a bust. I think it's asking for some trouble to reverse flow this filter intentional.

Thanks.

You've stated it better than I could.

DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Just doing my part to make the name Dave look awesome. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You dun good. ;-)

I'm still working as an engineer. Getting new schools built at about $12M a pop.

DaveL
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 844 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 119 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 466 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.