Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insect in CPAP machine?
Insect in CPAP machine?
I have unfortunately seen these very small (size of sharp tip of a pin) tan colored insects in my bedroom.  They are very hard to see and I am afraid they may be in CPAP machine and would be blown into my lungs, which I would think cause major problems.  I know I can wash my hose, but I'm sure they could be in other parts of the machine though.  Would wearing a cloth mask work?  

I haven't used my machine in a few years and I need to since I am falling asleep when I drive to work, which is 1.5 hours away.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insect in CPAP machine?
They could be ladybugs. I'm starting to see them appear here in Georgia. For good measure, you might switch your filter out for a hypoallergenic one.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see if you have a problem.

First make sure hose, mask, humidifier chamber are all clean, no bugs or debris.
change the inlet filter, want it clean and as resistance-free as possible for this test.
Get an antibacterial filter. It goes between the machine and your mask.
run the machine for 30 minutes without wearing the mask.
The flow will increase to max/near max, I'm not sure what the filter will allow because of its resistance.
Stop and inspect the filter. No Bugs or particles you should be in good shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, they are too small.  Like I said the insect could fit on the sharp tip of a pin.  I've seen them off and on my whole life, but never knew what kind of insect they are.
Post Reply Post Reply
If nothing else, buy some insecticide. Lots of stuff can be used indoors safely and easily enough. Spray your bedroom and see if that helps at all. 

Spray around the area that your machine sits on. Maybe spray a paper towel and wipe it around your machine. 

Gotta say, if you can actually see an insect that is small enough to fit on the sharp end of a pin, you have better eye sight than I do.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2022, 11:51 AM)RichardK2000 Wrote: No, they are too small.  Like I said the insect could fit on the sharp tip of a pin.  I've seen them off and on my whole life, but never knew what kind of insect they are.

The in-line CPAP antibacterial filter between the machine and mask is more than good enough to remove any invaders of this size. It has sub-micron filtration. 99.9% Bacterial Filtration Efficiency (BFE) is 99.9%
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a filter on the input, they should not be able to get into the inlet. Put water into the humidifier tank and run the machine for an hour. If you don’t see anything in the water you should be OK. You can also use a hair dryer and blow hot air through the hose. That should kill any bugs that may have gotten into the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like they might be Bed Bugs. If that's the case, you have a big job on your hands to eradicate them because they hide all over the place during the day, albeit usually in and around the bed where their food source is - i.e. you.

As you have now seen, they are hard to spot. Have you been aware of any rash lately? Their bites look like tiny red marks, tend to occur in clusters and can be very itchy.

In most cases, new infestations arise after you have slept in another bed, typically a hotel or motel. They then hitch hike on your body or clothes, back to your place.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are too small to be bed bugs.  They are the size of the pointed tip of a pin.
Post Reply Post Reply
'Baby' Bed Bugs are indeed tiny. From the EPA:

Bed bug eggs, in general, are tiny, the size of a pinhead;
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,257 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 223 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 150 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 186 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 402 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 843 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 259 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.