Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insomnia and treatment?
Insomnia and treatment?
For those who had insomnia before diagnosis, did starting CPAP help?  Are there any sleeping medications that do not worsen apnea?  I ran across an article stating Lunesta (I know there is a generic name which I cannot spell - Eszopiclone!) might decrease apnea by raising arousal threshold but it was from 2011 so not sure of current status.  What about the drug still in clinical trials (by apnimed I think)?  Atomoxetine and oxybutynin?

Just looked up Apnimed real quick guess they are also doing phase 1 trials of atomoxetine and trazodone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Insomnia and treatment?
For me the CPAP is a great help.  I would wake up like clockwork at 3 am from a nightmare and often not be able to get back to sleep.  In hindsight it should have been obvious that this was me desaturating, but I sure went through a lot of rationalizations of other causes.  I also had trouble initiating sleep, particularly at higher altitudes.  On a bad night I would typically get 3 hours of sleep, and I seldom got through the night without 5-6 awakenings.

I was very lucky, as I tolerated the CPAP great from the start. (if you mouth breathe much at all and can tolerate a FF mask, I recommend starting with that rather than a nasal, so you can get a successful experience with the CPAP from the get-go.  You can always try and troubleshoot a nasal mask later) And for me everything magically resolved just a day or 2 into using the CPAP.  I now sleep like a log for 7-8 hours straight.  

I have never used meds for insomnia so I cannot speak to their relative merits.  But it is my understanding that most “successful” meds worsen desaturations because you will sleep right through them rather than waking up to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
For insomnia, some people benefit from CBTi, which stands for cognitive bahavioral therapy for insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I am familiar with CBTi and it is definitely worth a try. It's harder to find a provider who specializes in it unfortunately, and long wait for appointments.  I do have an app Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I was taking Trazodone before pap use and continue to take it now.  It works well for me.  I sleep better now that I use a pap machine, waking up less often, etc., but I have experimented and I still need the Trazodone for good sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
How much do you take?  That is one of the ones they are putting in a new pill combo with the atomoxetine.  I think I have taken either 50 or 100 a couple times and it did not do much but there was also once it really knocked me out and next day sedation so I didn't want to take again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 15 436 06-26-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Anyone try the Inspire treatment? manjojam 2 228 06-13-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 750 27,457 06-01-2022, 10:50 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  So many Central Apnea! Treatment emergent? Bricks 1 249 05-16-2022, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS help with treatment christopher13 0 178 05-15-2022, 07:10 AM
Last Post: christopher13
  4 months in: falling off the treatment emergent central apnea cliff SleeperAwake21 6 512 04-08-2022, 05:33 PM
Last Post: SleepyTeacher
  [CPAP] New CPAP user - I think something is wrong with my treatment, help please? Kobayashim4ru 6 487 04-08-2022, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Kobayashim4ru

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.