Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy
Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy
I started using my machine in early July. The initial nasal pillows and headset fit well and don't bother me. I have not noticed any noise or pressure changes from the machine during the night. I am now using a higher set of pressures than the initial set because I was feeling suffocated at the low end but spent most of the night bumping up against the max. My AHI is usually 2 or less. My doctor (who was jazzed) also turned off the ramp and that was a good decision too.

I noticed improved alertness, feeling more rested and more energy beginning on the first night but it has not reached a level that I would consider really good. I was definitely feeling better though.

I have had frequent (6-10) episodes of wakefulness per night for about 25 years. I usually go back to sleep quickly. I did the sleep hygiene routine and found of set things that help but I have never completely resolved the issue. Told my sleep doc this was still going on, he suggested trying to figure out what was waking me up and/or waiting to see if it stops between now and my next visit in 6 months. I could live with that until . . .

I started having longer periods of wakefulness during the night in the last couple weeks. I'm waking up after about 3-4 hours of sleep and I'm not getting back to sleep until about an hour before I have to get up at best. While this leaves me tired, I am not as groggy and fuzzy minded as I felt before starting CPAP. I still don't know what is waking me up.

Anyone with similar experiences? Suggestions?

What should I be looking for on my sleepyhead data? Is there a way for me to mark waking up without involving a clock?

Thanks for reading this.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy
Hi baconjurer and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

So you say your periods of nighttime wakefulness have increased are lasting longer and that you are not as groggy as you were. Perhaps this is because the sleep you are getting is better due to CPAP treatment? I find I sleep less time than I used to and do not awake as groggy as I used to. When you wake up do you need to use the washroom? Are you uncomfortable? Anything you can pinpoint?

Hope others have some insight into this to help you along.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I wrote this I've started getting up an hour earlier, which has helped some. I don't need to get up to use the bathroom. I did buy a new mattress when the not getting back to sleep started and I've woken up twice with hip pain in the early morning in the last week. So the new mattress is not helping. I'm going to try a very firm one.

I'm not aware of any noises that might be waking me up. I used to manage my insomnia by distracting myself with an audiobook, or guided meditation, and by not having any lights on in my room and by avoiding lighted clock faces. That usually got me back to sleep in less than 10 minutes. I have an extra blanket on the foot of my bed for waking up cold and a remote controlled ceiling fan for waking up hot. I agree that part of the "problem" is that I am getting better sleep and I'm just not as exhausted all time.
Post Reply Post Reply
About the same place, used to be worse, now it's every two hours and I can usually get back to sleep right away.

My theory is that I am not sleeping as soundly as I would like and when I get too close to awake I actually wake fully up.

Sometimes I sleep soundly for several hours and then on/off until early morning and then soundly again for 4 hours
Sometimes I sleep on/off until early morning and then soundly for 4-6 hours

Thinking that with all the gear, air pressure, straps, hoses going on, if I get too close to awake and pop right over the line and fully wake up.

Working on small changes in pressure to try and stay sounder asleep for longer.

Where I am at now is manageable, just trying to get it "better"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 180 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.