Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insomnia in the elderly with apnea?
RE: Insomnia in the elderly with apnea?
Instead of counting sheep try this:
Imagine you just won the $200 million Power Ball. Now, exactly what will you do with the money?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd get some new socks.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
AlanE,

Did R-G infect you with his sock fetish??

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Primary physician and sleep doctor were of no help, so I went to a psychiatrist, who suggested that I have a "whiff of hypomania" and prescribed Prozac long term and Xanax short term until the Prozac kicks in. He feels that anxiety is causing my sleeplessness.

I dunno. Still feels like I need a pill to go to sleep. Something focussed on this aspect.

BTW I am taking very low dosages of statins.

I think this does describe me, but I still need more sleep.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/a...ekey=30745
Post Reply Post Reply
I would start with the natural things, like regulating your exposure to light with a cool color temp in the morning and with a warm color temp only, after sundown. Get that nailed, and then possibly supplement with melatonin.

If you are 72 and are the master of your own time, a split sleep schedule is not the worst thing in the world, and not unhealthy. It might be OK to embrace that. Google bi-phasic or polyphasic sleep, and you will find how natural that is (and was for millions of years) and how un-natural sleeping a straight 8 has been since industrialization, 250 years ago.

While it is good to try to have the same schedule for everything from day to day, the best life advice I ever got was "eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired; make love whenever your can".
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2015, 12:43 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I would start with the natural things, like regulating your exposure to light with a cool color temp in the morning and with a warm color temp only, after sundown. Get that nailed, and then possibly supplement with melatonin.

If you are 72 and are the master of your own time, a split sleep schedule is not the worst thing in the world, and not unhealthy. It might be OK to embrace that. Google bi-phasic or polyphasic sleep, and you will find how natural that is (and was for millions of years) and how un-natural sleeping a straight 8 has been since industrialization, 250 years ago.

While it is good to try to have the same schedule for everything from day to day, the best life advice I ever got was "eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired; make love whenever your can".

I have done paragraph one, but need to get better at doing this.

Paragraph 2, I am "master of my own time", but seem unable to sleep any time but night time. For most of my life, I have disliked having to sleep, there are so many interesting and fun things to do! But if I don't get good rest, I find myself responding to minor events in major - often inappropriate unpleasant - ways. Also heart problems that don't exist when I get more sleep. Fitfully dozing off during the day, but can't turn the dozing into a nap.

Paragraph 3, I don't have any schedule. I absolutely love your last statement! Thank you for your kind response to my post!

Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes I have trouble sleeping. I just have a restless feeling. It frequently happens after a couple hours of sleep. I do have some stress in life. But I'm working on it. Also, due to work, my wife is in Texas and I'm in Kansas.

My best solutions? Listening to talking, they do the trick almost every time. I'm usually out after a couple of paragraphs.) An alternative is actually reading books. Late at night, reading is relaxing but just plain enjoyable during the day.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just turned 70 and I also have problems with insomnia. A previous doctor put me on alprazolam (benzodiazipine) for anxiety that I had at that time. Now, some 10 years later I still have trouble sleeping, even with cpap. I was not aware that benzodiazipine meds are considered addicting and no doctor I had ever told me I should be off of them until now. It is hard to break that habit especially when the physician says "just do your best to quit."

I also had a doctor put me on remeron and I gained 90+ lbs, so do watch your weight. Don't be like me and ignore it.

One thing that does work for me is to turn off the TV 2 hrs before going to bed, stay off the computer for the hour before bed and don't eat any chocolate in the evening as it has caffeine. Other people who are considered "Seniors" also seem to have sleep problems, so I don't think we're alone........but what to do about it remains a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a cpap machine for about a month, but I have also been working with a sleep psychiatrist for the same time. He is working on my insomnia. I feel that the two are very different things, at least for me.

We have started sleep restriction therapy and it is going fairly well. Having the cpap (a noisy one) and doing the therapy at the same time is a bit trying, but I think I am on the right road.

I am 60 and I wanted to have one last try to get my sleep to be more normal , more like other people's sleep. If you want to know more about this please ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been hunting around for articles on PLMS and found this on sleep disorders and the elderly, it is from 2010...has some interesting things some not so...

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2010/february/0220.pdf

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 214 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 297 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 776 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Requesting Advice for Elderly Mother MattInMD 16 1,081 11-20-2022, 11:48 PM
Last Post: MattInMD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.